“N’aw, don’t worry about it.” He shrugged, “That date ended a while back anyway.”

What?

“What?”

His composure? Still retained. “I told her that it wouldn’t be a good idea.”

“Why would you do that?” I knew what his answer would be, but I had to ask anyway. He couldn’t really have done this for me.

He knew that I knew too, I could tell from the ‘you-crazy?’ look he gave me. “Because you didn’t like it.”

“So?” I sputtered, still horrified and what he’d done. The shame of him finding out had been bad enough, but this…this was worse. “You like her, don’t you?”

“Not if it hurts you.”

I felt horrible. Not only was he being completely accepting of the fact that I’d admitted to having an interest in boys, him specifically, he was also trashing his date with a girl he actually liked. All because I liked him.

And what was I doing in return? Crying, making him worry about me, holding him back. Yet it wasn’t enough for me that he cared. I wanted more.

You selfish dog.

“You should hate me.” I shook my head in disbelief. “Go back, tell her you didn’t mean it.” I started to grab him by the shoulder and push him out, but he stood firm.

“But I did,” he told me gently, his voice soft. “I can’t really be with her if it hurts you. I’d hate myself for it.” I opened my mouth to protest, but he cut me short. “Come on, if things were reversed…”

“I wouldn’t do what you did.”

He raised an eyebrow. “I’m sure you wouldn’t.”

“I’m sorry.”

A warm hand enveloped my own. “Dude, you’re my best friend. And you come first. Always.”

I nodded meekly, embarrassed both at the scenario and at the fact that even though everything that had gone down had gone down, I was enjoying the feel of him.

“Good, now let’s get you home.”

I looked at him. “Unless you want to stay? But as your best mate, I’m going to have to tell you, you look horrible.”

I snorted, but shook my head. “Let’s go.”

“Thought so. And get you some hot milk.”

That drew a smile out of me. “I like hot milk.”

“I know you do.”

Seeing my chance to put some sense of normalcy back into the situation, I grabbed it. “And chocolate.”

Peyton looked at me, and sighed. “Fine, we’ll get you some.”

I’d seen the slight smile play onto his lips though.

*

I don’t recall much after that, except milk, chocolate and a warm bed.

*

His mobile phone started to ring. He looked up from his book in surprise, then his eyes widened as his best friend started to stir. Reaching out to answer it and silence the ringing as soon as possible, “Hello?”

“Peyton?” Sarah’s voice was shrill; she sounded worried.

“Yeah?” he whispered cautiously, not wanting to awaken his distraught friend from his slumber.