By Saturday morning, everything was packed and ready to go. Grace quickly took a shower, taking extra care to wash her hair real well and shave her legs—nothing worse than greasy hair and hairy legs—and then was out the door.

Grace parking in the high school parking lot and then headed to the gym to meet everyone. When she walked inside, two boys were shooting hoops on the basketball court. They didn't look evenly matched since one was insanely tall and the other barely reached his shoulders.

To the left of the basketball court was a girl sitting on the bleachers. Grace couldn't get a good look at her since her face was buried in a book, but she would bop her head every so often as she listened to music on her headphones.

Another girl in a purple tank tap and shorts was leaning against a wall, talking on her phone. It didn't appear to be a pleasant conversation since the girl was scowling and throwing her hands up the entire the time.

Oh man, Grace thought to herself. What have I gotten myself into?

She scanned the gym, looking for the person in charge when she caught a glimpse of jet-black hair and steely grey eyes. "Miles?"

"Grace," he said, looking up from a clipboard. "Good, you're here. Do you have the waiver form signed?"

"You're the other chaperone?" She ignored the flutter in her stomach. Told herself it was due to nerves, not how hot he looked in a black tee that showed off his body to perfection.

"Your mom left that out, huh?" asked Miles.

"You don't have to look so smug." Then realization dawned. "Wait. You knew I was coming. Did you put her up to this?"

"You'll have to ask her that." Miles winked, then put his fingers to his mouth and let out a loud whistle. "Gather up, everyone!"

The boys immediately stopped their game, and the girls put their things away. When they circled Miles, he announced, "This is Ms. McCaffrey, Mrs. McCaffrey's daughter. She'll be coming with us on the trip."

Suddenly, Grace had four pairs of eyes on her. It was intimidating, especially because no one seemed thrilled or particularly impressed with her.

"Introduce yourself, please," Miles told them.

All eyes slid away, and silence followed.

"Pacey?" Miles nudged.

Finally, the tall boy who'd been playing basketball stepped forward. He had a nasty looking scar on his neck and wore a blue shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes that had seen better days. Clearing his throat, he said, "I'm Pacey. Senior." Then he took a step back.

Guess he wasn't the talkative sort. Grace had a feeling none of these kids were the talkative type, at least not to a complete stranger. She could feel their unease and distrust slithering across her skin.

Miles gave a pointed look to one of the girls with black hair and cocoa skin. She was the one on the bleachers reading the book. The girl was a couple of inches shorter than Grace and had a nose piercing.

Crossing her arms, she said, "Corrine. I'm a senior too."

"We're all seniors," the other girl muttered. She had light honey hair, green eyes, and legs that went on for miles. "I still don't understand why we have to go on this stupid trip. It's not fair that we have to give up our weekend just because you say so."

"Ash," Miles warned. "You signed the agreement. Going on this trip is part of that."

"I still think it's stupid," she mumbled.

"Why don't you introduce yourself?" Miles suggested.

"Why?" the teenager protested. "You already said my name."

"Oh my God, just do it already," Corrine burst out. "The longer you whine, the longer we have to stand here."

Ash gave Corrine a dirty look. "I'm not whining."

"My little sister is better behaved than you, and she's three."

"Oh shut up. No one asked for your opinion," Ash replied.

"I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking."

"Get off your high horse and stick it—"

"Girls," Miles said with such authority it stopped both girls in their tracks. "Do I need to remind you where we are? I expect you to be on your best behavior."

"She started it," said Ash.

"Regardless of who started what, everyone will treat each other with respect. Is that clear?"

"Yes," everyone murmured.

"Good," Miles said. Then he gave Ash a pointed a look that had her rolling her eyes.

"Fine. Name's Ash. And no, it's not short for Ashley." There was a fierce defiance in the girl's eyes as if she expected Grace to make fun of her.

"Nice to meet you, Ash, not Ashley," Grace replied with a smile. She hoped the friendly teasing would loosen the girl up, but Ash wasn't having it. She just sniffed and looked away.

Finally, the last person in the quartet, an auburn haired boy with combat boots and safety pins dangling from his ears, stepped forward. Looking uncomfortable, he rubbed the back of his neck and muttered, "I'm Hugo."

"It's nice to meet everyone. As Miles—" She remembered how Miles introduced her and quickly corrected herself. "I mean Mr. Dalby said, I'm Ms. McCaffrey, but you can all call me Grace."

Miles sent her an approving nod. "Alright, does everyone have what they need? Because once we leave, there's no stopping for anything."

Everyone piped up at once claiming they needed to go to the locker or the bathroom.

"Be back in five," Miles told them.

Once they were alone, Grace asked, "Hey, what did you mean earlier when you said Ash had to sign an agreement? Are they being forced to be here?" It'd been bothering her since Miles mentioned it. She didn't like the thought of those kids being pushed into something they didn't want to do.

Miles sent her a thoughtful look. "What exactly did your mom tell you about this?"

"That it's a mentorship program for troubled kids."

"It is. We're trying to steer them in the right direction before they graduate but to do that, they have to want to change. Forcing them to be here won't accomplish anything. Trust me, they enter this program on their own accord."

"How exactly does is work?"

"Well, they first have to be recommended for the program. Usually by a police officer or a teacher, then we evaluate them to make sure they'd be a good fit. If we think they are, we lay out the options for them. For instance, one girl had the option of community service, this program, or being suspended. She picked this."

Grace could see how the program would appeal to a lot of kids. Better than picking up trash on a highway or getting a suspension. "So what did these kids do to land in the program?"

"I think they should be the ones to tell."

Grace frowned. "Don't you think I have a right to know? I'm going to be sharing a tent with those girls. I don't want to get murdered in my sleep."

"They're not convicted felons, Grace."

"Then why won't you tell me what they did?"

"I don't want you to have a preconceived notion of them. These kids are already guarded. It'll be hard enough to break through to them without clouding the situation."

"Okay. Should I be doing anything on this trip besides watching over them?" she asked.

"Just get to know them. Lots of people write them off and don't bother to find out who they truly are." Miles paused. "And just a word of warning, Corrine and Ash don't get along. I don't know why, but they never have."

"I can handle two teenage girls," Grace replied confidently. After all, she used to be one. How hard could it be?