Her mom's hesitation put Grace on alert. What wasn't she telling her?

"It's for troubled kids," her mom admitted. "But they're not bad. Just misguided."

"What kind of trouble are we talking about here?"

"Just some stuff that got them in trouble with the law."

That did not sound safe. What was her mom thinking getting involved with a bunch of delinquents? "Mom—"

"Oh, stop it. I already know what you're going to say, but you don't know these kids. They have good hearts. They just need help. Keep an open mind and get to know them, okay?"

Grace trusted her mom. If she said these kids were okay, then they were okay, but that didn't mean her reservations disappeared either. However, she'd do what her mom said and keep an open mind.

"I knew I could count on you." Her mom brushed Grace's bangs to the side. "How are things on the job front? You heard back from any of the organizations you applied to?"

"Not yet." However, she was keeping her fingers crossed. There was a position available in a literacy organization that looked promising. They helped millions of people all over the world learn how to read and write. "I just hate sitting here, doing nothing, while I wait."

Her mom sent her a disapproving look. "You're doing something. Look at this weekend. You'll be helping those girls."

"Yeah, but it's not really changing anything." Camping with a bunch of teenagers wasn't going to end world hunger.

"Grace, as much as I admire how committed you are to helping others, sometimes you forget that the little things can make a difference too."

"I know that, but Aunt Penny—"

"Aunt Penny was a great woman, and she did many wonderful things, but volunteering all over the world isn't the only way. There are tons of ways to make a difference right here in our own community."

Her mom's sister had been Grace's hero growing up. Whenever she would visit, she'd bring exotic gifts and tell breathtaking stories about her adventures as a relief aid worker. It opened Grace's eyes to what a person could accomplish with their life.

In a sad twist of fate, her aunt died from a hit and run when Grace was only fourteen. After the funeral, Grace swore to herself she would pick up the torch and continue doing her aunt's work. Too bad life seemed inclined to stop her.

"I get what you're saying but haven't you ever had this deep seated need inside you calling you to do more?" It was an ache that wouldn't go away. And Grace knew staying in Banner Hill wasn't going to fix it. Her life was meant for more.

Her mom gave her a sad smile. "Just think about what I said, okay?"

Grace nodded. She wished her Aunt Penny were still alive. She was the only one who really understood Grace. Well, her and Miles, but for different reasons.

Grace felt a pang of regret for turning down Mile's invitation to hang out. Maybe he wanted to be around someone who understood him too. Grace promised herself she'd call him after the hiking trip. Maybe they could get coffee or something.

The next few days flew by as Grace readied herself for the trip. Most of her backpacking gear was still packed away in her parents' storage shed, so Grace spent a whole day digging through the boxes. She also went to the store to buy trail mix and other snacks. She didn't know if the kids had ever been hiking before so she bought extra food as well as band aids, ointments, and anything else they could need.