Chapter One

"Wait what?" I whipped my head around and stared at my mom, shocked.

     "Ben can't come so it will just be you and Damon" she said, shrugging and folding laundry.

     I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Damon and Ben have been friends with me since we were little. We grew up together, running around and acting crazy. The only problem is that I have never had a full conversation with Damon. Even though it was always the three of us, Damon never was fully committed to the games we played. He is only a couple months older than me, but we never seemed to actually hit it off as friends.
     While Ben was a year and a half younger than me, we had always been the ones staying up late together giggling about random fantasy worlds we had made up. I texted him, angry he hadn't told me sooner.

Are you seriously leaving me alone with Damon?!

He responded almost instantly.

Sorry haha I'm going to the beach with my friends instead.

So you're sticking me with Damon.... you know... the guy who always ruined all the fun we had?

Who knows... maybe you can make him talk for once.

     I rolled my eyes and turned off my phone, stomping back upstairs to my room. Ben knew that was impossible.
     "Hey Cat, make sure you remember to pack a sweatshirt in case you get cold!" My mom yelled up the stairs, like that was what I was worried about.
     "Whatever" I mumbled, pushing open the door to my room. I flopped onto my bed and sighed, opening instagram on my phone. I mindlessly scrolled through pictures, trying to figure out how to get out of going to the beach.
     I saw a picture of my older sister, Marybeth, standing on a beach in Greece. For once I actually wanted her to hang out with me so I would have something to do. When we were little she would join us "little kids" and boss us around for a little until Damon's never-ending crush got too annoying.
I guess I could try and get a tan while I'm there. I know my mom would try and make me hang out with Damon, but that could be easily solved by taking the golf cart and going to a different part of the island. I wish there were cars on Bald Head Island, but for some odd reason the builders decided not to make a bridge. That left everyone driving around on golf carts and trying to pretend their red cups weren't filled with beer.

----------

I pulled my giant backpack full of clothes onto my back, groaning yet again. "Stop moaning and groaning, you have to go." My mom said, rolling her eyes and zipping up her "cosmetics" bag. She always packed too much for every trip, then complained about how much of a hassle luggage was. Without her bags, I doubt we would even have to take two cars.
Since she was riding with Damon's mom, Julie, I was stuck in the car with my dad for four hours. I grabbed camera bag and headed out the front door to my dad's giant Honda Pilot. The humidity made it hard to breathe once I opened the door, it was going to be a hot week. I shoved my bags into the back of the car and yanked open the front passenger seat door. I doubt he would let me sit in the back and tune out his music.
I ended up sitting for twenty minutes before he came out the door, running across the street to the car. He opened up the car door and jumped in.
"Ready to go to the beach?" He asked, laughing at the annoyed look on my face.
"Ready as I will ever be." I rolled my eyes and put in my earbuds.
We pulled away from the curb and headed towards the highway.
Four hours, a stop for food, and a grocery store later, we made it to Southport.

==========
Sorry the first chapter is so short! I just wanted to get a quick pilot out before I really got into the story. I hope you guys enjoyed! I'll try to post as often as possible.