"Ron says that his dad said that your dad was one of Voldemort's supporters during the war. One of the most loyal out of every one of his followers."

"Harry!"

"No, Hermione, it's fine. Potter: I am not my father. You know nothing about my life, no matter what your pet Weasel thinks he knows. He doesn't like me, I don't like him, and I don't want him to like me or Hermione. I certainly don't want him knowing anything about my home life."

Harry looked uncomfortable with this argument. "Fine, fair enough. Now I have a problem."

"Someone's looking to steal the Stone. You already said. It's none of our business, Harry. None of yours, either."

"Right, yeah, except it is. If Voldemort comes back, it'll be every ones business, won't it? We'll all be in danger. You for being muggle-born, me for being me, and him for being,..."

"Betrothed to someone like me, just like half the other purebloods our age? That doesn't make any sense and you have to know that. Such blind hatred of anyone different is completely illogical."

"Actually, You-Know-Who was a half-blood. What? I know my history. We sent you about eight books on blood status, didn't we?"

"Is that like the 'royal' we or a sarcastic 'my family' we?"

"Sarcastic? How is that sarcastic? Mum suggested the books, and she's family. Or has that changed?"

"Can we go back to the Stone, please? How would it help Voldemort?"

"You're joking."

"Probably not," Hermione disagreed, "he genuinely doesn't know. Harry and Ron aren't exactly the sort to read, as best I can tell."

"And they're still here?"

"Malfoy. Do me a favour and answer the question."

"The elixir of life. I'm right, aren't I?" He watched Hermione nod, then smirked. "If it had a body, the elixir would keep it alive, let it gain strength."

"He's male, Draco, monster or not. But yes. In theory, he's right: drinking the elixir of life could probably return You-Know-Who to life."

"Yes, exactly!" Harry cried, beginning to pace. "It all makes sense. He tries to get past Fluffy and Fluffy bites him, so he limps - he must've released the troll as a distraction for Dumbledore and everyone else. He tries to knock me off my broom with that jinx or whatever it was. He threatens Quirrel, then he takes over in Quidditch, and of course Hagrid wants a dragon but who would know that?"

"What's he talking about now?"

"His broom started bucking in the first Quidditch match. We all thought it was some trick to get pity points, but then he almost fell off and I decided he probably wasn't."

"That was you? You set Snape on fire?"

"Not Snape, no. Quirrel's turban. His face -"

"How have you not been expelled?" Hermione asked, shaking her head.

Draco coughed. "Right. Family connections - you wouldn't get expelled either."

"That's not the point!"

"Isn't it?"

Harry wasn't listening any more, still pacing. He'd made it to the front of the classroom, posters and notes over the chalkboard. It looked like one of Oliver Woods practice sessions, plans and diagrams everywhere. Plans for...something.

Plans.

"I need one of you to come with me. Or both of you."

"What? No. Come with you where?"

"Hermione, I am not helping Potter. You can't make me."

"I just said we weren't, Draco, but I can still ask."

"Beyond the trap door."

"You didn't have to hex him."

"Well he shouldn't have suggested that I break the rules, should he?"

"And hexing him outside of Defence Against the Dark Arts class isn't breaking the rules?"

"I will hit you, Draco. It will be a punch. I'm sure I know enough to make it hurt at least a little, from reading all those books you sent me. And a self-defence manual grandma Jean insisted I read through at least once every six months. Thumb on the outside, or you could fracture it."

"What?"

Hermione smiled, reaching for another book and adding it to the stack in his arms. "It makes sense, trust me."

"Yeah, that's what you say." He followed her around the corner of some more shelves. "It was pretty neat, the way you flattened him with that spell."

"It was, wasn't it? Can you see A Guide to Defensive Practices?"

"I don't think you need it. What kind of hex was it? Potter certainly didn't know the counter-curse."

"I don't think Harry knows much that isn't covered in class, to be honest. It was an Entomorphis hex - you have to have read about it, it's in Spellman's Syllabary and Multi-Purpose Hexes, Jinxes and Charms. Both books you bought me. You must have read them."

"I actually haven't read all of the books you were sent. You see, I have a life."

"What's that got to do with anything when you're so obviously thinking of doing something incredibly reckless?"

"I am not."

"Harry Potter got to you, didn't he, Draco? You think that someone's going to try to steal the Philosopher's Stone from within Hogwarts, even though it probably isn't here and Harry's just insane. I wouldn't be surprise, given how he's suddenly discovered he's famous after years of thinking he's nobody. It could be a cry for attention or desperation or pretty much anything. Maybe he's imagining things. Wouldn't be the first time a stressful situation caused someone to lose their mind."

"'Stressful situation'? Is that what it's called?"

"Starting at a new school, in a world you didn't know existed? It's not relaxing. And my point is, you're going to do something stupid. You're going to track him down and go with him, aren't you?"

"I'm not going to do anything to get myself into trouble."

"Draco."

"You wouldn't be guessing any of this if you weren't thinking of it, too."

"Yes, well, I'm in Gryffindor. I'm supposed to be like this, aren't I? Rebellious. Reckless."

"Difficult. Impulsive."

"And Harry's worse than me. Much more Gryffindor."

"He could get him and the Weasel killed."

"And we could keep them alive."

"It's our responsibility, really. Save the Boy Who Lived."

"So I should tell Harry that I'm sorry for the hex and ask him how to smuggle you into Gryffindor tower?"

"Only if you think I'll be any use."

"Of course you will. You can distract the guards."

"Thanks, Hermione."

"No need to be sarcastic. You really will be useful."

"Now why am I not feeling reassured?"

"Mostly because you're paranoid and crazy and Slytherin."