Chapter 7: Casablanca

Magsimula sa umpisa

He turned to the other man, finishing: "That's where you come in."

Luther stared back at the other man for a moment before he replied shortly: "Not interested."

"Okay, look, Luther-" Brandt began with a sigh, but Luther interrupted: "Look, man. I know Ethan. I don't know you."

He stared at Brandt, a hint of accusation entering his eyes as he pointed out flatly: "All I know about you is that you chose to work for Hunley."

"Yeah," Brandt countered, "all I know about you is you chose to resign."

Luther chuckled in disbelief, before he told Brandt: "You don't have to worry about Ethan. They'll never catch him."

"No, they're not going to catch him." Brandt replied flatly. "No. This is the CIA, this is Hunley, we're talking about. Things are out of control... And they're going to kill him."

He looked at Luther, his tone just on the edge of pleading as he said: "They're going to kill Ethan. They're going to kill Benji. And... they'll kill Kat."

Luther's eyes narrowed as he caught Brandt's tone when he said the last name, and Brandt knew he was walking a thin line. Very few had known how deep his affiliation with 'the civilian', as she had become known within the IMF, went, and it was for a good reason. It was to keep her safe. But now, he needed Luther to do exactly that, and so he was offering his secret as a sign of peace.

"She's with them as well, and that's painted a target on her just as it has on Benji- we have to get to them first." Brandt begged as Luther eyed him thoughtfully, just a hint of relenting entering his expression for the first time since the IMF was shut down. "Are you going to help me?"

Luther stared at Brandt for another long moment before he sighed. He walked closer to Brandt, leaning in as he said seriously: "You need to understand something."

Brandt nodded, listening, and Luther said flatly: "Ethan is my friend. And if I have one second of doubt whose side you're on..."

He trailed off pointedly, and Brandt replied shortly: "I believe you."

"Not even 'Miss civilian' will be able to stop me." Luther warned, but there was a slight teasing note to his voice. Brandt tensed a little but he nodded.

"All right." Luther said at last, and Brandt nodded as they reached an agreement, agreeing: "All right."

"What do I have to go on?" Luther asked and Brandt replied grimly, handing over the file he'd been carrying: "Not much. And not a lot of time."

Luther opened the file to reveal the two drawings. The drawing of their mystery man... and a drawing of Ilsa Faust.

********

Casablanca

"His name is Solomon Lane." Ilsa explained as they gathered in her sitting room after she'd gotten dressed. "He created the Syndicate."

"Where does he come from?" Ethan asked from where he was standing, leaning against the wall. Kat was standing beside him at his signal, while Benji stood in the doorway that lead to the pool.

"He's former British intelligence." Ilsa replied from her seat at her dining table.

Ethan's eye twitched but he didn't look too surprised. He moved thoughtfully as Benji turned back to the room, asking with a frown: "Well, if British intelligence knows the Syndicate exist, why don't they just tell the CIA?"

"Because they don't want anyone knowing the Syndicate was created by one of their own." Ethan guessed as he leaned against one of the dining chairs, looking to Ilsa for confirmation.