"Now this will keep it from infection, but it may hurt," the girl warned softly. Setting the jar aside, she made for something just beyond Ellie's head. "Bunny's a wonderful friend in times like this."

A small teddy bear came into view. Nell tucked him into Ellie's arms and bent toward the wound once more.

Ellie knew the sting of iodine, but this was much worse. She clamped down on a yelp, and fought the urge to squirm, squeezing the bear. Nell smeared quickly and had the job done in a blink. She blew on it for the burning to stop.

Packing the jar back into her box, she commented, "That'll do for now... You'll need to have it looked at though, I think. Maybe stitches."

Ellie blurted, "You didn't have to do this much, really. Thank you."

Nell's eyes went wide. "Oh yes we did. Tis only right."

Ellie was about to deny it, but Finn interrupted from his post in the hall with some snark. "Yes, everybody's grateful. C'mon girls. Let's get a move on."

Nell sent a withering look towards the door. "Go and see about her bike."

Finally, he flounced off.

Once his feet had traveled enough distance away, the child huffed, "I swear."

This prompted Ellie to wonder...

Were they related? They certainly squabbled with the familiarity that bonds of blood made. But while Nell was most definitely Irish, Finn had the sensible, no nonsense tone of The North.

Ellie lifted a sympathetic smile and decided to chance it. "Siblings, eh?"

Nell's little head bobbed emphatically, but she didn't go into it.

Confirmation. It prompted Ellie to wonder about their parents, and, where the cousin mentioned earlier was.

Nell's next mission was to get the patient mobile. Which failed miserably. The girl didn't have the strength to hoist Ellie. The elder raised a halting palm. Taking a deep breath, Ellie got her hands under herself and pushed up with the groan of a dying hippopotamus, slowly aiming to prop against the headboard.

And she made it.

Breathless, lightheaded, and dignity abandoned, she was upright. Sweat adhesed the heavy night clothes to her breasts and back. The only sound was of her ragged breaths, which was embarrassing in and of itself.

Nell hovered. "Water?"

Did she want water? Cool, sustaining, water?

Ellie mustered a weak nod. Nell scampered off.

Wheezing, she wiped her sweaty face with her tartan flannel sleeve. It caught her eye. Tartan? She squinted at the textile and turned her wrist over, examining the weave. It was an average tartan, slightly faded from many washes, and pearling from many years of use. It struck her as looking familiar. Why?

She picked at the front, focusing on the buttons. The third from the top was different from the rest. Green as opposed to the white of the others, having been stitched slightly out of place. Ellie squinted at the button. She brought it to her nose, studying it.

Nell appeared in the doorway. "Something wrong?"

Ellie dropped it. "Fine!"

Nell blinked at her doubtfully. Ellie chirped a laugh, choked on her own dry mouth, and went into a coughing fit. Beating her chest, she fought to quiet herself.

What more will I do to embarrass myself?

Nell hurried with the water, pressing the rim of a chipped mug to her lips. The ceramic bit, but Ellie didn't say a word. The water was strangely sweet and minty.