Chapter 1

Artemis lifted her head to the crisp, night air that awaited her when she woke. She sensed that the rest of the pack were asleep. They were so quiet, almost like it was a dream. Artemis crept out of the cave the pack resided in, gingerly lifting one paw over the over. She knew if she woke the pack up she'd never hear the end of it.
As soon as she was outside the cave entrance, a soft breeze blew her charcoal coloured fur gently. She shook her head in a relaxed manner as she glanced up at the moon. The moon illuminated everything in it's path, including Artemis' amber eyes. "I could stare at the moon forever" Artemis sighed. If only it was that simple. Being in her pack was no easy life. It included having the pressure of the older wolves bearing down on her all day. If she didn't become an alpha one day, she would've failed her parents and all those who had even the smallest bit of faith in her. Artemis didn't want to become an alpha, but no wolf understood that. They all shook their heads disapprovingly when they heard her outrageous remark. "You have to become an alpha, selfish pup. It's what every wolf wants and it's practically being placed on a golden platter for you." One of the older wolves said. Artemis didn't disagree with this. Any wolf would kill at the chance to become an alpha, literally. Many wolves have been slaughtered in the wake of rising alphas. This sent a shiver down Artemis' spine when she heard what power hungry wolves were capable of doing. She didn't want to be like them. She wouldn't become like them. Would she?
Artemis was deep in thought when she heard a wolf stirring deep in the cave. Instinctively, Artemis sprang to the cave wall. She held her breath and hoped that a clumsy old wolf would stumble out instead of a younger one. The older wolves were not as alert as the younger ones, they often couldn't even pick up a simple scent. Artemis heard a low grumble from inside the cave as a body dropped to the floor. She knew that whoever was awake had drifted back into slumber. She still waited another while, just to make sure her instincts didn't betray her.

Artemis woke in the morning nestled in amongst the wolves. She hardly remembered sneaking back into the cave last night. She let out a big yawn and flashed her teeth. Soon the rest of pack began to rise up and exit the cave, doing numerous stretches along the way. Artemis bounded out after the others had gone and sniffed the cool morning air. She then dashed down the cliff face to meet with the other wolves, some of which who had already gone on the morning hunt. A small group of assigned wolves go out at dawn and before dusk to gather the days meal. There wasn't always enough to go around, but every wolf was used to that by now. The current alpha, Dakota would snap at those unlucky enough to get food. "Stop drooling over other wolves feast and go make yourselves useful." Dakota would snarl. If the wolves didn't move immediately, Dakota would grab them by their ears to teach them a lesson about obeying orders. Thankfully Artemis never had to go through that traumatic experience. As a soon to be alpha she was treated with respect. Respect Dakota forced the pack to show. Dakota was the one wolf Artemis would never confess to. If he knew she didn't want to be an alpha, he would kill her. Of course he heard the other wolves mention it, but he took no notice and exclaimed that they were lying. Punishment would soon come after. Dakota was a strong grey wolf with light silver markings on his pelt. He has blue eyes and a vicious expression. He wasn't much older than Artemis, but he had seen so much more. One look into those eyes would make your fur rise. They were as blue as the ocean and held as many secrets as the depth of it. Dakota was no wolf to be fooled with.

(cover photo is from google images, I do not own it.)