But then the house phone started ringing.

Kristen irritably looked over at the high-tech black phone on the counter and stilled herself when Roman swore and got up from the table, marching over to it with his face set. Damn. That bitch didn't give up easily, did she?

She turned in her seat to watch Roman closely as his eyes zeroed in on the screen for the incoming number. She breathed a sigh of relief along with him when he exhaled, "Damien." He snatched the receiver off the hook and answered.

"What up D? Just sitting here with Kristen, eating a late lunch. What's going on with you? Oh, you guys are?" He glanced over at Kristen. "Tell her Kristen will be calling her soon. She needs her to cover for her. Yeah, her Dad's not too happy about her staying here in Boston, particularly with me."

Kristen reddened and turned away from Roman, finishing her burger.

"Yeah, I talked to him," Roman continued. "I'll tell you about it later. Tomorrow? No, I didn't forget. What time do we need to be there? No, I haven't talked to him yet."

Kristen knew from the tight tone in his voice Roman was talking about Diego. The muscle in her neck twitched and she begrudgingly sat her hamburger down on her plate, losing her appetite. She downed the rest of her Fruit Punch and discreetly listened as Roman continued talking.

"I will. I swear, I'll call him tonight. Damien, I know that. Lay off, okay? Just leave it alone. Look, I'll call you later. I gotta go." He slammed the phone down on the hook and went back to the table, sitting heavily in his chair. He pushed his plate to the side and placed his elbows on the table, looking at Kristen. She uneasily looked up at him, asking a silent question with her eyes.

"I'm going to call him," he firmly said to her, sucking his teeth. "I just don't feel like talking to him right now. And I know he doesn't want to talk to me."

"You guys have a studio session tomorrow?" she asked in a small voice.

He nodded. "Yes. Want to go with me?"

"I don't think I should."

"I want you there."

"I don't feel good about this Roman."

"This isn't your fault Kristen."

"No, part of it is. I came in between you guys and I knew better. I knew you were the one I wanted and I used him because I wasn't sure about what would happen between us. I mean, I did like him. I do like him, just... not like I like you."

Roman's jaw ticked as he waved his hand at her. "Babe, I don't want to talk about you and Diego."

"I don't feel anything for him Roman," she emphatically stated as she reached across the table to lock her hands with his. "I hope you know that."

He steadily looked at her. "I know."

"But I do feel bad about the part I played in you guys falling out." She paused. "Maybe I should talk to him first."

"No. You stay out of it."

"I don't mean about you and him. I just mean, maybe I should explain my side of things- "

"Didn't you already tell him where you stand? How you feel?"

"Yes."

"Well then there's nothing else for you to talk to him about. Diego's a big boy, he'll get over it. Just give him some space."

"Would you get over it if it were you?"

Roman's eyes were hard as he assessed her. "If you want to talk to him, talk to him. But don't use what happened between us as an excuse."