The sixteen-year-old stared down at Callie from his gangly height, his inner feelings warring across his face. On the one hand, he understood just what this experiment meant to the widow, and he wanted to please her so badly. But on the other hand, Noah wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he let anything else happen to Miz Callie. What a quandary…

  Second Chance raised his head suddenly and neighed. Callie’s head snapped around to face the lane leading from the main road.

  “Someone’s comin’. Grab your gun, Noah.”

  The youth complied, heart beginning to pound deep in his chest even though he suspected who was approaching down the peach-tree lined drive. Ever since the Indian attack that had killed his family and Miz Callie’s parents the widow had insisted he keep a shotgun at the ready in the barn and in the bunkhouse. She kept one loaded inside her home, as well.

 Reaching for the weapon, Noah watched his boss march toward the verandah of the house, all evidence of her injuries erased in that purposeful stride.

 Cradling his gun in his arms and forgetting the widow for a moment, Noah stepped out of the barn and faced down the drive, watching the lone rider make his leisurely approach. Just by the easy way the man sat his horse the youth recognized their visitor. It was him; the gunfighter. Sonny McQuade had at last decided to come to their assistance. It had taken him long enough to decide! Noah’s spirits lifted as he raised a hand to tip his hat back against the sun, a relieved smile planting itself upon his lips.

  “Damn you, Noah Lawson!”

 The hissed whisper was his only warning before a strong, feminine hand shoved against his back, causing the teen to stumble forward in surprise.

  “What the?—“

  Noah half-turned in shock at his boss’ unprovoked attack, hunching a shoulder in preparation for another assault. That she’d even touched him so roughly was a testament of how upset the widow felt. Callie West never hit; never showed physical anger. For her to push him told the youth he’d crossed the line. But he would do it again…

  “I told you not to tell anyone!” She accused, glaring up into his astonished countenance, eyes spitting fire, before turning toward the approaching intruder.

The rider made a clicking noise with his mouth, speeding his mount to a trot in order to reach the dueling couple more quickly. And by now the widow West knew just who was advancing toward her and the teenager.

Shooting her traitorous ranch hand one more “I’m-not-done-with-you-yet” scowl, Callie then turned her newly aggressive demeanor on her visitor, waiting with hands on hips till he pulled his horse to a stop before her.

  “I’m sorry you’ve made this trip out here for nothing, Mr. McQuade,” she began speaking before the horse and rider had even come to a complete halt. “Whatever Noah told you, it isn’t true. I’m doing just fine. We’re doing just fine. So you can go back home and rest easy.”

  Staring up at the gunman, Callie felt her breath hitch; her heartbeat trip slightly. She hadn’t seen him in two weeks, and this was her first reaction to his presence. Damn her womanly ways anyhow! He sat above her, stock-still and silent, face shadowed by the brim of his hat sitting low over his eyes while she fought to control her feminine response to his proximity.

Just when Callie opened her mouth to continue, the gunfighter swung a leg over the horse’s rear and dismounted effortlessly. With the reins held negligently in one hand, McQuade tipped back his hat and stared disconcertingly down into Callie’s face before finally replying.