"Told you!"

"You would know that one, wouldn't you?" Reluctantly, she got to her feet and returned to the bathroom, glaring at the mess of fabric in her arms. Draco remained where he was, reaching over to straighten the small pile of presents on the table: one from both of her parents, and one from her dad, and two from people who must have been extended family, perhaps her grandma and the married aunt? There would be at least two more added on Christmas morning, when the two of them and Narcissa gathered in an out-of-the-way sitting room to exchange gifts near the tree that his mother had watched the elves put together. For now, though, this would have to do. Five presents. Four, now that she had opened the fifth.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

"Okay, maybe I did need to open this early."

He looked up again, but not before finishing his count. Five. She was wearing it already. It was much more flattering than the sack she'd had for two years, a shiny grey fabric that faded to brown, covered with almost imperceptible floral patterns. The bodice, attached to thin straps that looped over her shoulders, was given shape by the ruffled line of ribbon down the centre, to the point where the skirt attached. It looked much better. She could pass for someone who actually cared about pureblood vanity, wearing that dress.

"I know it looks nicer than the other one, but I'm not doing my hair up for your little party. There's no point, I'm not trying to impress anyone. Why are you still staring at me?" She crossed her arms, fixing him with an accusing stare. Laugh. I dare you.

"Much better," he said instead, and was rewarded with the dawn of a smile on Hermione's face.

She'd found a jacket by Christmas, a denim thing that must have been in her trunk because he could swear that he hadn't felt denim in any of her presents, and besides, she certainly hadn't grabbed it when they had gone to her home. She had tossed it on over her pyjamas, faded golden flannel, on Christmas morning when he knocked on her door to get her. He offered to take the presents she was carrying, but she shot him a suspicious glare and shook her head.

"I don't think so, Draco. You'll probably open them or toss them over the railing or something."

He was offended by the accusation, but only showed it by rolling his eyes at her. A ridiculous habit, but she always did the same, didn't she? "Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it won't matter what I do."

"You're not carrying my presents," she said flatly. But once they reached the green sitting room, she put everything neatly in a pile before hugging him. "Merry Christmas, Draco."

He was unfamiliar with the gesture, though of course it wasn't the first time. He hugged Narcissa fairly often, more when his father wasn't around to look on in silent, eerie judgement, and so he knew to return the hug. No one close to his age had ever hugged him- but of course, prior to Hogwarts he hadn't exactly been willing to talk to those his own age, much less touch them. They were simply too stupid, too ugly, too poor, too proud, too rude. Almost all of them were things that made him a hypocrite.

The two of them stopped hugging when the door opened again, stepping apart quickly as though they had been caught in the midst of some forbidden act. Narcissa shook her head the tiniest amount, so little that she was certain Draco wouldn't notice the act. "Good morning," she greeted. The woman was already dressed properly, unlike the children in their pyjamas. Fine black trousers and an emerald green blouse had her looking as intimidating and elegant as ever.