Chapter 29 - The Penultimate Move

Start from the beginning

"That's true. But I'm in no shape be doing anything just yet other than sitting here and planning."

"How far are you with your plan?"

"You'll find out when it's done. I just need to know that you'll be willing to participate."

"Count me in."

"You just can't resist a game, can you?"

"It runs in the family."

"Okay then...oh God...I need to sleep," I say and let my head fall back against the tree trunk.

"Let's get you to your room instead."

I'm already half-asleep when I feel Pan pick me up and take me to my bedroom. As soon as my body hits the soft material, I sleep as if I'm in a coma.

- - -

When I wake, it's much later in the day, and I'm feeling marginally better. I sit up and finish off my canteen of water. I need to walk, but I can't do it without something to support me. I look around and see a useless piece of bamboo. I break it off of the side of the bookshelf and lean my weight against it. I make my way down the stairs, slowly and shakily, until I reach the ground floor. I hobble out into the clearing, all eyes on me.

"Davina, what are you doing up?" Pan asks.

"I'm feeling a bit better. And I'm hungry."

"You can't use that as a walking stick, Henry!"

"No, it's-" I begin but I'm cut off by Henry bounding over.

"What? Did something happen?" Henry asks.

"No no, Davina needs your help. Can you turn this into a proper walking stick? Just like you did for your sword."

"Sure," he says, and takes the stick from me.

I fight the urge to collapse onto the floor while Henry uses his 'believing powers' to help me walk. As soon as it's transformed, Henry passes it to me, and I feel instant relief. I breathe.

"Davina!" Bobby shouts and runs to me, throwing his arms around my waist, almost knocking me over.

"Hey, Bobby," I say, smiling, hugging him back with my free hand.

"Are you better now?" He asks.

"Not yet, but I think some food will help."

"I'll get it!" He says enthusiastically and runs off to get me something to eat.

Pan looks at me, judging me, but I don't have any energy to make a remark, so I just limp off over to the fire, where Bobby is waiting with a plate of food. I slowly sit down next to him, and he grins, and I smile back weakly. He hands me my food, which I scoff down. I didn't realise how hungry I was until I smelt the bacon and eggs. My stomach feels like an endless pit of hunger, which is only marginally filled by the now-empty plate of food on my lap. Bobby sees me looking at the plate longingly and gets the message, so he jumps up and in under a minute my plate is full again.

"Thank you," I say and wolf down the rest.

Bobby's called over by a small group of some of the Lost Boys, so he runs off to join them and they break into a run, disappearing into the woods. I look over and see Pan walking over to Felix. I can just hear what they're saying if I concentrate, which is something about someone leaving Neverland and I hope to God it's Hook and the others but the thing that sparks interest is the next thing he says.

"We need to get Henry ready. And I need to have a chat with our friend in the other cage."

Maybe I'll finally find out who the hell is in that cage...