Chapter 35 - Ingold

Start from the beginning

The Blooding Chamber lay close at hand. In Ingold's memory less than a minute's walk separated the Chamber and the bridge. It took him longer, he hugged the walls, seeking the shadows. He came to the preparation rooms first. A small vestibule lay to his right, carved from the bedrock. Through its doorway Ingold glimpsed the black robes hanging in rows. Scarlet robes hung further back, fewer in number. Black robes for the non-bloods, scarlet robes for those who would climb the steps again.

To the right, a storage chamber. They kept the marble cups in there. Ingold passed it by. An iron door blocked his way; the Blooding Chamber lay behind. He recalled the thickness of the door when it stood open to admit Jamus and the other apprentices. The blunt heads of a hundred rivets studded its black surface. A single rune, stamped deep into the metal, drew Ingold's eyes. The harsh angles strove to impart a message. Something whispered at the back of Ingold's mind and he realised the whispering had been there all along, for years.

"Let me in."

He set his hands flat against the iron. A wisp of smoke floated between splayed fingers.

"LET ME IN!"

A slow clapping rose behind Ingold and he span away from the door, reaching for his sword. A masked priest stood in the entrance of the storage chamber, applauding softly. Scarcely ten yards separated them.

"Ingold Stannith! I never imagined you would come so far. The king's impetuous bard returns!"

Ingold inclined his head. "At your service, father." Then he raised his blade, levelling it at the crimson mask. "Or rather, you're at my service. Unlock this door, it would be a shame for me to have to spoil it."

The priest laughed. "Ah, Ingold. Such bravado! It takes more than courage to reverse the given order though. Do you think the priesthood would give away such power without retaining the reins? The Blood Guard are meat for the grist, nothing more. From a man of apparent learning, I expected something of greater sophistication than an open challenge..."

"You have me at a disadvantage," Ingold replied. He squinted at the priest's mask. Although bland, each mask bore subtle variations by which the priests might know one another. "Gate-Keeper?" he hazarded a guess.

Again that mocking laughter, "The Gate-Keeper has gone within." The priest's finger described a quick spiral in the air. "He will be most pleased when I present him with the key you're about to give me."

Ingold felt a constriction in his throat. His face tightened and invisible worms seemed to crawl under his skin. He forced his words through clenched teeth,

"Wh... why does he need my key? Has he lost his own?"

"It's a matter of power." Gentle amusement filled the priest's voice. With deft artistry he spelled a rune into the space between them. It was the rune from the door. "Power and trust. King Handelf holds the only other key. When his apprentices need Blooding the key is returned to the Gate-Keeper. Checks and balances."

He reached an open hand towards Ingold's chest. Ingold shook as if in the grip of a giant. A pulsing red light formed in the priest's palm. He closed his fingers around it slowly.

"Time to die," he said.

The light leaked between his fingers, ruby shafts pinpointing on the walls. He squeezed. Ingold fell to his knees with a cry. The priest pulled his mask away and let it hang on his chest. Malice gleamed in two rat-like eyes set either side of a sharp nose.

"You are a tough one," he said. "You should be dead already."

Ingold managed to raise his head. Sweat ran in rivulets across his face, the river water still plastered red hair across his scalp.

"I ... am ... not ready ... to die," he panted.

The priest clenched his fist. Ingold screamed and pitched forward. A frown creased the cleric's brow, the light still pulsed within his fist. Ingold snarled and lifted himself to all fours. The wet sleeve on his right arm was steaming.

"That hurt, Jedax."

"I'm glad that you recognised me," Jedax said, trying to suppress his shock. An ugly sneer writhed across his thin lips. "I'm glad you'll know who killed you."

"Oh I remember you. I remember you burned that women in Glorsa square." Ingold fixed the priest with his stare.

Jedax sneered, and exerted his full strength to crush Ingold's heart. Ingold's sleeve burst into flame. The cloth peeled back to reveal the intricate bracelet Gartus fashioned. It shone with heat, tight about his forearm. Jedax released his grip with a howl, the light flashed brilliantly in his hand, and was gone.

Ingold climbed slowly to his feet and faced the priest. Jedax stood, weeping in pain. He gripped the wrist of his right hand. Skin hung in livid strips where the flash seared his fingers. The priest's dark eyes caught Ingold's and he staggered back.

"You'll pay for that. Oh you will pay."

He let his injured hand fall and sketched a rune.

"Eo."

Ingold stooped to pick up his fallen sword. Jedax traced a second rune,

"Dac."

Ingold took a step forward.

"Ita."

The third rune lit. The shadows thrown upwards across Jedax's face painted him more demon than man.

"By the ancient covenant between priest and servant, I command you. By the gift of Blood, I absolve you of will. By the pact, I hold your soul."

Ingold shook his head gently. "Priest. You did not give me the Blood." He swung his sword. "I took it!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The UK cover for Red Sister has been released. Did I ever mention about pre-orders being good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Sister-Book-Ancestor/dp/0008152292/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Here's the most recent review!

https://thequilltolive.com/2017/02/09/red-sister-the-gauntlet-has-been-thrown/