Chapter 4 Part 1 Towards London. A fleeting friend is slain.

Start from the beginning

We discussed the press conference a bit longer but we could only feel that whilst it had not been our planned course we had played the best hand with the cards presented. 

Towards the end Ellen said, "Okay we're reasonably comfortable with where we are, but should we go ahead with the programme Charles and I have organised to make? I think we should because we still need to put Rosetta in context with all the other debris that might hit Earth." 

Jacob said, "I must admit to feeling tired - I want to think and we don't have to decide today do we - let's go home children, it'll all be here tomorrow." 

We said our goodnights, Ellen and Will going their separate ways. Jacob and I lifted the trike onto the back of his pick up and he slowly drove down the mountain to home. 

He said, "I find that sort of day really tiring. It's not my field explaining to the world what we find out, in the time frame they want and without preparing a scientific context. It's really before I've thought it through myself, and I usually do the final thinking with you. I'm glad you were here to help decide what to do. I suppose you were more at home with the live situation than we were." 

"I've dealt with the animal more than you, but the press and public are the most demanding in terms of nerve and worry. I honestly think we've done a good job so far, and I believe Ellen is right to think of carrying on with the context programme, always providing you and your team can spare the time."  

Jacob grinned, "Are you sure you don't fancy spending some more time with Ellen for your own benefit?"  

"I'm sure I couldn't do better - she seems a great lady - but she must have a partner in tow." 

"Not so, my old friend, she was married but her husband was killed in a surfing accident a few years ago and she's brought up a couple of great kids meantime, as well as being a formidable career astronomer. Think about the programme - I can see it could be good on its own merits." 

I was glad to see some of the weariness leave him, as I felt that the hounds of the press would return to worry him, and he would need all his strength and good humour before long. 

"I'm glad you have Ellen on your team. She's got a very cool head in a tight spot, a good brain, and for an astronomer she's streetwise. You should keep her up front with any press. It'll help that she's black and female. At least you won't be open to the accusation that it's a white sexist plot!" 

The family were watching the TV, and as we came in, our press conference was being broadcast. 

Jean said, "They've put out about a minute of this on the news, and two or three from NASA. It seems they're trying to hype it up but without much success." 

Jacob's answer to the Times question was transmitted unedited. My answer to the supplementary was cut to miss out the point about ICBM's. I said, "I didn't think they would include what I said about the ICBM." 

"There's been something on the missile that's been a bit scary," Tom volunteered, "they said the explosion wasn't an accident at all. Someone went nutty, broke through the secret codes and killed himself with a big bang." 

I said, "I'd treat that with suspicion. If that idea can be sold they can say that technically the system has integrity. All they have to do is modify the software and hardware to eliminate the influence of a mad suicide technician." 

Jacob's large hand grasped the remote control and the TV went dark and silent. "I absolutely forbid anyone to talk about ICBM's, cometary orbits, the media, or government news management, until morning. I propose that Charles and I have a swim and then can we have some civilised talk and some food - please?"