Part Two

A few months passed by.

On a breezy morning, I was sitting in my garden. It was for my private use but quite a few visitors have been left in my care. They were made to stay in the bamboo hut built in the side of the garden and I was made to tend to their every need. The visitors mostly consisted of sages, brahmins and yatis and they had always blessed me when leaving. I loved taking care of them and listening to their words of wisdom and spiritual intellect. They were a peaceful company and I loved every minute of being with them.

Conches blared deafeningly and I whirled around in surprise. Who was being welcomed? 

Then fear gripped me, making me gulp. 

I'd worked so hard on getting myself back. Banished every single immaturity lurking within me, refreshed my mind, kicked a certain warrior out of my heart, and embraced the world as a new Subhadra who'd opened her eyes to reality. And I loved this.

But what was the meaning of that loud noise? 

Was it a sign that all hell was about to break loose?  

That man was not coming here and destroying everything I'd built around myself. 

Oh no, he has no right to march in here and destroy me. 

Angry, and squaring my shoulders to tell Arjuna to butt the hell out of my life if he so much as caused another flutter in my heart, I got up and headed to the huge balcony of the palace, where my sisters-in-law and mother were seated.

'Who's arrived?' I asked, holding my breath. 

'It seems we have another yati to visit us,' said my mother. 'Balarama just passed on the message from the nearby Prabhasa mountain him and Krishna found him.'

I exhaled in relief. Huge relief.

Closing my eyes, I thanked Indradeva for keeping his son away from me, and then opened them to eagerly see our new guest.  

The palace gates were flung open and there was a tide of jasmine and roses falling on him like holy rain. Conches continued to blare in a high soprano and every citizen of Dwaraka were out of their houses, staring at the wonder seated on the royal chariot, flanked on either side by my brothers Krishna and Balarama. 

I was intrigued by the smile on Krishna's face though. True, he always felt it was an honour to have holy ones like the yati to stay at our home but there was a definite level of ecstasy on his lips that were peculiar.

My eyes shifted from my brother and landed on the holy one, just as the tide of petals cleared to give me a proper vision. 

He was tall and was clothed in saffron robes, rudrakshas coiled around his arms and neck. His hair was a matted mass that hung all the way down to his waist and his beard and moustache covered the majority of his face. He had his hands raised to bless the people who rushed to the chariot to get a better look at him.

As we were told to descend the palace steps, I kept my eyes fixated on our guest. Absent-mindedly, my legs carried me all the way down to the front doors and stayed in one place as my sisters-in-law stood ready to welcome him. The chariot stopped and after my brothers stepped down, the yati did so. I was transfixed by the amount of gracefulness that was put into his movements. He was lithe and supple on his feet that was shocking. It was then that I took a closer look at his profile.

Sculpted arms.

Did yatis have that kind of muscle?

They appeared to be rock hard and manly, shaped to perfection. The rudrakshas actually looked out of place on such limbs. My eyes continued to the side and noticed the planes on his chest, which were partly visible under the cloth. His skin was a beautiful bronze colour, with a rich complexion and just by appearance, I could tell the texture would be smooth and sleek.

I had this sudden mad desire to touch him.

My conscience kicked me hard.

You idiot!

I shook my head, trying to clear it. Unfortunately, my head moved a little vigourously that my earrings dangled along with it, creating a weird noise. I blushed furiously but thankfully, nobody noticed.

My eyes went to the yati again.

This time, at his face.

And it was a second later that I realised it was a huge mistake.

Beautiful eyes.

They were the single most exquisite eyes I had ever seen. The irises were dark and the shape of his eyes resembled an almond, fringed by thick lashes. 

With a jolt, I realised just how handsome he was. 

In my twenty years of life, I have never ever come across a yati or brahmin that looked the way he did. I couldn't believe this man actually lived this life. What a waste, really. This was injustice. 

My sisters-in-law showered him in flowers and applied sandal paste on his forehead. The procession went inside and I followed behind, eyes on the mysterious guest.

Another reality hit me and it made me blush again.

Oh dear God, now I was being drawn to yatis! 

'... I am sure Subhadra will be honoured to take care of you,' said Krishna and I zoomed back to what was happening around me.

What?

All eyes fell on me but I was paying attention to one set in particular. The one set I shouldn't be absorbed in. 

If any part of my thoughts wondered if his very stare will not have as much as a profound effect as the very appearance of his eyes, it was wrong a thousand times over. The dark ebony orbs pierced right through me, capturing my body, reading my soul. 

Ask me to divulge what Krishna's thoughts were on a regular basis, I think it would prove to be a much easier task than to break the eye hold I was now under. 

Then I slowly realised Krishna, Balarama, my parents and sisters-in-law were standing in the room with me and I snapped out of it.

Krishna actually looked close to laughter and I knew he hadn't probably missed what was going on through my head. My cheeks burned. 

'Subhadra,' he called. Did I imagine it or did he just wink at me? 'It is your job to take care of holy guests, isn't it?'

Oh. Yes.

I collected myself and pulled myself up to my full height, dignified and calm. 

'Yes, it is,' I smiled, casting it at my brother first and then at the yati, hoping my smile presented a warm welcome.

But then he returned that smile and my knees went weak.

And half of his face was obscured by matted hair.

What was with me and men who I've never seen properly before?  

God. 

I inwardly rolled my eyes at myself. 

'Please come with me,' I gestured for him. He nodded once, still smiling and feeling my stomach in flutters, I started walking, with him following behind.