He nodded. “I know. I told you I understood why you had to leave, even if I didn’t agree with it.”

“How did she die?” I muttered into Chris’ chest. I wasn’t ready to let go of the hug he was giving me. It has been months since I’ve gotten a hug from someone who really cares for me, no matter what. I really didn’t want to talk about her, but I had to know if the rogues got her. If they did, her death would be my fault too.

“She was terminal.”

“What’s that mean?”

“She had cancer.” Maybe I felt guilty for calling a whore now. “Her cancer was in the liver. It spread to her lymph nodes and spread all over. She was content to just die with her family at Finn’s estate.” I felt obligated to hear the whole thing. “But Connor brought up the idea of giving her more time with the motivation of having a boyfriend.”

“Grayson.” I muttered.

He nodded. “Grayson couldn’t be a massive dick to Finn’s granddaughter who had terminal cancer. If he left her, Finn would have raised hell for her. Finn wanted to see her happy during the final stages of her life.”

“If she was Finn’s granddaughter, how’d she get cancer?”

He shrugged, “Like everyone else who gets cancer. She wasn’t a werewolf and had no latent genes that would give her a superior immune system. She was the last of Finn’s lineage from when he was human, that’s why she was so special to him.”

“So she caked on that makeup to look like she wasn’t sick?”

Chris nodded, “When he walked around without the makeup on, she looked sickly. If you were a werewolf, you’d smell the rancidness in her scent.”

I sighed, “Does it make me a horrible person if I only referred to her as a whore?”

Chris chuckled. “I don’t think it makes you a horrible person.”

I looked over at the mixer that was still mixing away. “I should finish that.”

He nodded, “Probably.”

-------

Grayson stayed in his room until the others got home, the next afternoon. I wasted no time getting to them. I knew Amanda had to be ready to pop, if she hadn’t already.

I was searching the cabinets for something to eat (I couldn’t possibly have any more of those cupcakes, the very thought made me want to gag) when I heard the front door open. First I heard the little footsteps of Matt running into the house. He was coming towards the kitchen.

I instantly planned on catching him and smothering him in kisses…and I did exactly that. He squealed when I caught him. I made sure to lift his kicking shoes away from my belly. I planted tons of kisses on his neck while he tried to wiggle away from my tickling kisses.