The house was quiet.

It didn't feel the same, it didn't smell the same and it just wasn't the same. For over twenty-eight years, Harry had grown accustomed to hearing angelic laughter, smelling sweet perfume and feeling a gentle touch every day.

But Harry still had hope that one day he'd be blessed with that again.

The timely chime of the grandfather clock brought Harry out of his thoughts just as he turned on the kitchen light. He walked over to the cupboard, breathing in the scent of freshly brewed coffee from the automatic coffee maker.

He poured himself a cup of coffee, glancing at the mug on the counter that hadn't been used in two months and thirteen days and he looked away. As he took a sip of his French roast blend, something in his peripheral vision caught his attention. Swallowing the hot beverage, he set his mug on the counter and smiled.

"Hey there, Delilah," Harry smiled at the name, remembering how it came to be. He knelt down and held out his hand, making a soft wispy sound with his mouth and she immediately came over to him. Harry gently brushed her black and brown fur from her head to her tail and cooed at her, "Are you hungry, Lilah? C'mon, I'll get you some food."

Harry walked over to the pantry with Delilah following right behind him and he grabbed the half-empty bag of cat food. He poured a scoopful into her bowl, making a mental note to buy some more and he took her meow as a thank you. After filling her bowl with some water, Harry made his own breakfast.

A few minutes later, he sat down at the table and said a quick prayer before diving into his poached eggs, turkey sausage links and toast.

While Harry ate, the ticking of the clock on the wall counted the time he had left. He had to be at his destination in under an hour and with the wintery weather, he knew he should get going.

After the dishes were washed and put away, Harry turned off the kitchen light and made his way upstairs to brush his teeth.

With fresh, minty breath, Harry said goodbye to Delilah who was perched on her new cat tree in the corner of the living room.

During most evenings, Harry would sit in his recliner and work on his crossword puzzle. The jingle of the cat toys would capture his attention and his puzzle book would momentarily be forgotten while he'd watch Delilah play.

He cleared his throat at the memory of when the recliner next to his wasn't empty and he hurriedly put on his coat and gloves and left.

The chilly gust of wind made him hurry to his car and he quickly got in. He started the engine and while he waited for the vehicle to warm up, he got his phone from his pocket.

He tapped on Messages, then the last text message he had received and he began typing.

Good morning, Faith. I'm on my way now. Meet you there in an hour.

With a heavy sigh, Harry locked his phone and tucked it in his pocket. He put the car in Reverse and carefully backed out of the driveway. Applying his foot to the brake, he shifted the gear into Drive and glanced at the house. He let out a quiet laugh when he saw Delilah laying on the window sill of the living room, waiting for him to return.

Harry waved to Delilah and drove off.

Roughly thirty minutes later, Harry was parked in the visitor's section on campus. He took the keys from the ignition, reminding himself that he was going to be okay and he got out.

He hurried across the parking lot, holding the open ends of his coat closed and as he approached the front entrance, the double sliding glass doors opened automatically.