As Hugh went inside, he looked at Miss Avocet, who was behind the door, but she quickly held her finger to her lips to shush him. Hugh nodded before trudging inside.

Imogen finally reached Miss Peregrine, a few tears rolling down her cheeks, and looked at her for a moment of before the both of them tightly embraced each other. For a moment, Imogen made eye contact with Barron, and she put the most venomous glare in her eyes she could before pulling away and trudging into the parlour.

Miss Peregrine stood in the doorway, holding the doors, ready to shut them. Tears were stained on her cheeks. "It's been my privilege to care for you all. Goodbye, my children." Miss Peregrine said softly, slowly closing the doors.

Imogen was standing at the front of the group of peculiars, almost in a protective stance. She knew Elijah was right beside her, so she closed her eyes and let out a breath. "Thank you, Elijah." She murmured.

"What?" Millard whispered from behind her.

"I was talking to Elijah." Imogen hissed back, trying to stay quiet.

"You let him out?" Emma whispered to her, her voice going a little higher than necessary.

"I had to! I made him promise not to do anything." Imogen murmured, absentmindedly trying to listen to the conversation outside. That hushed everyone, because no one else said anything. Imogen heard the squawking of a bird and looked down solemnly, knowing that it was Miss Peregrine.

Suddenly, the doors burst open and Jake was shoved open by the devil himself. Luckily, Imogen held Jake's shoulders and helped Jake steady himself before he sent both of them falling. They both briefly made eye contact and Imogen gave him a sad smile before letting him go so that Jake could stand at her side. Miss Avocet was now hiding behind the door again.

Barron grinning and waved creepily, but Imogen couldn't remove the permanent glare in her eyes that came whenever she was around. Just as he was about to leave, Barron suddenly turned around to the peculiars, "Boo!" He exclaimed. All the peculiars, aside from Imogen, jumped back in alarm.

After Barron laughed at their fear, Imogen growled before discreetly flicking her wrist, causing the door to slam shut in his face. She heard him say something from behind the door, before the sound of the front door slamming signified he left. Immediately, Jake took action as he walked towards the window.

"It's getting dark. You won't even be able to see their shadows. We have to stay inside, It's the only place we stand a chance." Jake said, standing next to Imogen and looking around at everyone. Behind his back, Imogen slowly locked her hand with his. She wasn't sure what it meant, but it made her feel safer.

"He's quite right. Now, where does Miss Peregrine keep her weapon?" Miss Avocet asked, taking charge. Enoch pointed his thumb over his shoulder before himself, Emma and Jake ran out to go find it.

"Now, all right, children. Make sure all the doors are locked, and the windows are latched. Everything must be sealed up tight. Now, quickly. Quickly! Go!" Miss Avocet instructed, before all the peculiars split up to go do their part.

"Elijah, can you move that sofa over there, please." Imogen murmured, before a sofa was moved in front of a set of doors. She smiled and nodded to around where he would be, before continuing. Imogen proceeded to latch all the windows in sight.

Suddenly, she heard the ringing of the telephone. Of course! Abe called every night! Just as Imogen was going to go answer it, she heard footsteps before the ringing stopped. Someone had answered it. When she listened closely, Imogen realised it was Jake, and she smiled to herself.

Imogen turned back to see Bronwyn push Hugh and Horace out of the way when the were struggling to push a sofa, only to easily push it in front of another set of doors.

Then Emma, Enoch and Jake came back with weapons before they shut the doors. Imogen flicked her wrist at the sofa Bronwyn was pushing and it almost flew over to the doors, barricading them. Bronwyn looked at her and smiled, both of them nodding at each other before carrying on. Imogen ran over to Jake, "Please tell me you got me something good." She breathed.

Jake smiled slightly before nodding and passing her a garden rake. Everyone picked a weapon, before positioning themselves on one of the sofas and facing Miss Avocet, who had Miss Peregrine's crossbow. Jake stood next to Imogen at the front, and both of them stood relatively close to each other.

"Now children, now that we're all here, there's a few rules. Your primary job is to stay safe. Leave the hollow to me. I don't want to see any heroics. Now, those of you with garden tools, I must insist that you--" But suddenly, Miss Avocet was yanked back by an invisible force and out of the house.

The children let out gutteral screams, Imogen stumbling back and feeling for Jake's hand, but he'd already jumped for the fallen crossbow.