Prologue: The Past

I was only five when it happened. The day the one person that made me smile, the one person that gave me hope in this dark world that we all live in, died.

Why me? I was already a weird little kid. Most people used to say that I was messed up in my head. They used to call me names and say that I never talked, that I never played, that I never did anything. And now everything was going to get worse.

As the sun was shining bright and the clouds were as white as flour I walked home side by side with my mum. We never really spoke anymore, not since my great grandmother got sick.

My life was always really cramped. My house, my head however my heart was always empty. I was never satisfied. In my house I lived with my grandma, grandad, uncle, auntie, cousin, mum and dad. The house was only a three bedroomed one with a small backyard and tiny brown shed shoved to the corner at the bottom of the yard like nobody wanted to see it, nobody wanted to hear it creak when the wind blew softly... nobody wanted it. My grandparents always talked about getting rid of it but I always convinced them otherwise. That little shed full of rusty spades and rotting wood was my place of escape.

But now I had no escape. It was gone when I got home and so was my mum and grandma. I searched and searched the house multiple times only to find them both sat on my bed shaking. Shaking from sadness and the escaping of tears made my heart ache to run to them and comfort them. I wanted to but I couldn't. Not now not ever.

My grandma beckoned me over to her so she could have someone to hold. I stood there stuck in place, unable to move. I didn't like contact with other people. I kept myself to myself never talking to anyone.

Her eyes were swollen and red like she had been crying for eternity. A million questions ran through my head like a tsunami of worries. Tears began to rush down my defined cheeks until they got to my jaw bone, they dropped to the floor with a silent drop that only I could hear.

Her hushed tone made my eyes squint, my ears prick up and my nose wrinkle from concentration. What did she say? I only knew certain words because of my age but hopefully my loving, caring grandma would use vocabulary that I would know.

"Your dear great grandma..." she croaked out of her obviously hurting throat.

"She... she... erm... she's in a-a better place n-now. She's with god and t-them pretty little a-angles your always d-dreaming about."

No. Not this. Anything but this.

My heart ached with emptiness, with grief, with regret. I only ever gave in my emotions to my grandma. What was I supposed to do now? Maybe I could shut myself away or hide in the school toilets.

My knees began to feel weak under my overwhelming heavy, grief stricken heart. Suddenly, I shrank to the ground with my shoulders shaking violently, my eyes were sweating. I never cried... never so what was I doing right now.

My mom looked at me with a shocked expression stuck on her face because she never saw me cry heck she never even saw any of my emotions. She crept from her seat on my bed leaving an imprint on the thin mattress and she slowly tip toed towards me, noticeably nervous around me.

I turned my face from her pity full expression for reasons that were too bulk to count. I had lost the most important person in my life to god knows what. I released emotions in front of people. I was living in a house of zombies that were covered in a 'why me' face.

My grandma rushed out of my room unable to look me in the eye and sped down the steep staircase covered in an aged carpet ready for replacement.

My back slouched like a rainbow as my eyes carried on leaking with grief. I shivered with loneliness when I felt my mother walk out of my room.

My bed creaked immensely when my whole body weight jumped onto the plain white sheet that covered my bare arms with a warm, comforting feeling that rushed through my lifeless body.

My eyes began to feel so heavy that I couldn't handle it anymore. As I drifted of into a world I came to love an extremely horrifying image merged into my dreams.

My great grandmother laying in her bed at home turning pale, hair falling from her delicate head, teeth turning into thin wisps of beauty. Her chest rose slowly and gently. Then all of a sudden her body lurched forward and started to shake... back and fourth, back and fourth until they came to a stop. Everything came to a stop. Her shaking, her green eyes became grey, her chest stopped moving and her smile faded.

I woke in sweats and tears, my bed sheet wet. What was that nightmare for? I had learnt from many people that dreams or nightmare meant something. So what did this mean?

I slid downstairs to see every single head prop up to see my tired, red eyes, everyone except for my grandma. She was sat in the back garden weeping until she felt my presence. She briskly turned her ageing body to face me. She was in a really bad state... even worse than me.
                            ~~~~~~

These nightmares carried on for around two years and each time they differed. Some showed me how my great grandmother died each in a different way with a different cause. Some showed me her lifeless body attached to an endless amount of wires. Some showed her being lowed into the depths of the graveyard at her everlasting funeral.

I was never allowed to attend the funeral, my mother claimed I was too young and weak. Was she the one who was going through unlimited, emotionally draining nightmares each and every night without fail?

No!

So who was she to determine if I was strong enough to attend a funeral? And may I say this funeral was for the most important person in my life. This funeral was for the only person who made me smile. The only person who gave me light in this dark world we live in. It was her funeral.

I never even got to say goodbye.