Chapter 5

"Ooh, a camera!"

My eyes snapped open. With my vision blurry, I blinked rapidly, and finally I could see my three allies around me. The cave was dimly lit, even with fresh dawn light seeping in.

"Oh, did I wake you, darling?" Mettaton pulled his gaze away from a hidden camera in the wall, which I had just noticed. "I apologize."

"It's all right." I replied sleepily. "And... please don't call me that."

Chara was sharpening her knives near the entrance to the cave. "Haven't you realized that's what he calls everyone?"

"True."

"So are we gonna get going, or what?" Mettaton flung a small black backpack over his shoulders. "We can't bore the fans, now can we?"

Right. I packed up my satchel and gripped my chaos saber, and Chara slipped her newly sharpened knives back into their belt. Napstablook had nothing to carry. Would everything slip right through him since he was a ghost?

"What's in the backpack?" Chara eyed Mettaton suspiciously.

Mettaton didn't falter under her gaze. "A glamburger, an empty canteen, and some flint." He answered casually. "MTT Brand flint, of course."

We all set off without a word. Dawn had passed, and the early morning sun's rays touched the darkest places, even Waterfall. I had never felt the sun on my face before. Was this sun artificial, or was it the real thing? Were we still in the Underground, or were we on the Surface? Thoughts kept on floating through my mind until my feet met something wet and cool.

"It's the marsh." Chara murmured, excitement edging her tone. "The forest isn't too far now."

The marsh had springy black grass that felt cold and damp under my paws. The toxic ice blue water trickled by in countless creeks, and across the expanse was a hint of green. I welcomed the dark marshlands of Waterfall and trekked on with the others.

Mettaton seemed to be having trouble. Napstablook kept to his side, uttering support.

"Afraid to get your boots wet, glittery calculator?" Chara taunted.

Mettaton shot her a dirty look and took a deep breath. I could tell he was struggling to keep calm. "I'm not waterproof, that's all." He took a few more cautious steps. "I'm sure that if the water doesn't get over my boots, I'll be fine..."

"We'll never get to the forest at this rate." Chara groaned.

...

Mettaton eventually got over it, and we were able to travel at a decent pace. As it turned out, the forest petal actually wasn't too far at all.

"Y'know, when we set up our camp, we could pick a few echo flowers from the Waterfall marsh and set them around everywhere. That way, we can tell if anyone's spying or something." I remarked.

Chara took a moment to consider my idea. "Maybe. Just don't make them too obvious, okay? I'm sure everyone knows what an echo flower is." She paused, smirking. "Apparently, these two don't, tramping all over Waterfall without a care in the world."

Mettaton remained silent. That struck me as odd, because he always had something to say, especially when it came to counter arguments. I glanced over my shoulder at him and noticed he was staring into the trees.