I Drive Your Truck

Eighty-Nine Cents in the ash tray

Half empty bottle of Gatorade rolling in the floorboard

That dirty Bulldogs cap on the dash

Dog tags hangin' from the rear view

A pack of mistys and cowboy boots and a Go Army Shirt folded in the back

This thing burns gas like crazy, but that's alright

People got their ways of coping

Oh, and I've got mine

I drive your truck

I roll every window down

And I burn up

Every back road in this town

I find a field, I tear it up

Til all the pain's a cloud of dust

Yeah, sometimes I drive your truck

Twenty eight year old Brian Kelley made his way through his family's farm to the back fields that was home to an all too important part of his past. Yanking open the door of the black on silver Chevy Silverado truck he climbed up and let his head fall against the steering wheel.

Eighteen year old Brian Kelley was glaring at the door across the parking lot from him. The other side of that door was taking his sister away from him.

"Hey runt." Seventeen year old Brian said sitting down next to his sister on their roof.

"Bite me." She smiled at him. "Say it. I know you're ready to go off on me. Just do it."

"I'm not gonna go off on you, I just don't get why you want to do it." He said.

"I want to see the world bri. I want to get out of Macon, hell out of Georgia and the states. This is a way to do that and to provide for my feature family. I want to fight for my country."

"The army though? What happened to Nashville after graduation?" The brother asked.

"Nashville is always going to be there. At the same time just because we all have what it takes to make it here doesn't mean we will there. Nashville could crew us up and spit us out. I want this brain." She said laying her head on his shoulder.

"Their gonna take you from me. Just promise me you'll come home." He said kissing her hair.

"I promise i'll come home." Taylor whispered.

"Hey." Eighteen year old Taylor said walking up to him. "You ok?" She asked arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah I'm good." He said really looking at her. "I guess it's done. When do you leave?" He asked taking in her army strong tank top that she had changed into.

"End of the summer I get shipped out to basic." She said unlocking her truck and placing her go army shirt in the back with her cigarets and cowboy boots.

"When are you gonna tell everyone?" Brian asked as they left the parking lot.

"I dunno I will at some point but no reason to make everyone pissed now. I'm just gonna wait till after finals." Taylor said driving down the road.

"Just make sure that you come home Tay. I dunno what I would do without you baby sis." He smiled at her.

"Two minutes. You're never gonna let that go. " Taylor said rolling her eyes.

"Nope." Brian laughed.

Brian picked his head up and let it fall back against the headrest. Opening his eyes landed on her dog tags that still hung proudly from the rear view mirror.