An Alternate Ending

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Hello, Miss Linton."

Lord Dalgliesh. Of course it was him, the memories of the night came flooding back.

"Lord Dalgliesh."

"You're looking well this evening, my dear," he said, a bright smile dawning on his face.

I refused to acknowledge that. Instead I observed him, my eyes now adjusted to the light. He looked mysterious and alluring in the candlelight, I suppose. It was a shame such an attractive man was so evil.

"Cat got your tongue, my dear? Or are you just that surprised to see me?" He questioned.

I smirked at him, finally an opportunity to put my sarcastic mouth to good use, "Oh no, my lord. I mean, which other psychotic and maniacally insane kidnapper do I know?"

Surprisingly, he did not look offended, if anything his smile widened and a brief chuckle escaped his lips.

"Ah, yes, I really do like you. Able to keep that wit about you even in as stressful a situation as this. It's actually quite admirable. But please," he walked up to me, placed a hand under my chin and pulled my face up roughly, his voice not changing in volume but at the same becoming so much more intimidating, "refrain from using that disrespectful tone with me. Unless you would like me to tie up this pretty, little mouth."

I blanched, he was too close, almost as close as Mr. Ambrose had been. How dare he!

"Excuse me, my lord, but my pretty little mouth belongs to me, and I will use it as I please, and please unhand me, I do not belong to you."

"And who do you belong to darling, Ambrose perhaps?" His sneered at me while maintaining that frightening smile.

"I belong to no one but myself."

"Oh, how hysterical," he almost looked amused, "we have ourselves a little liberalist." He moved his face closer to me, his breath ghosting over my face, "Let me tell you something, my dear, you do not own yourself. From the moment you met me, you stopped owning yourself. You belong to a side, a side you get to choose, a side you chose, and chose wrongfully you did."

"I did not choose wrongful-"

"You did. You did when you chose him. You chose to place yourself in a world where this indefinitely would have happened," his eyes glinted, "I will, however, give you a final chance to change your foolish decision. My offer still stands, in addition to a favor I require from you."

Gazing into his eyes I realized he truly wanted this, he wanted me on his side. More than that, he wanted me to be against Rikkard.

"Use that to your advantage," went my ingenious subconscious.

To my advantage? How?

"Use you imagination," inner Lilly sneered.

Turning away from him, I looked down so he couldn't see the wheels spinning in my head. He and Mr. Ambrose had an uncanny knack for it, it was rather disturbing.

I didn't need to do what he wanted, but who said I couldn't pretend to want to? That way I could find out what he wanted from me, and I could buy some more time, too.

Peering up at him from under my eyelashes, "What kind of favour?"

I felt him shudder over me, "Oh, darling, don't say it like that," he purred.

Wasn't he just upset? Why was he speaking like that now? Damn the men in my life and their whiplash emotions, it was very confusing. Looking closely at him it seemed as though his eyes were slightly darker, and his breathing had changed. How strange, he looked almost like Mr. Ambrose after we had-