Chapter One

• Dedicated to Animal Crew ~ Emily, Emma and Imogen

Chapter One 

My phone buzzed with the indication of a text as I slumped onto my window seat, resting against the lime green cushion after another long, yet boring day at the bookshop. We rarely get any customers and those who do enter the shop are tourists who do not understand Spanish. I gazed out of the window, staring into the distance as the ocean glistened from the rays of the sun. This is my usual thinking position; relaxing on the window seat and watching the rays dance upon the ocean surface. I found a comfortable position before fishing my phone out of my denim jeans and read the text:

Bruna

Hey, babe, Carmen, Cecilia and me are going to that party later.

 We were wondering if you’re coming. X

I groaned, having completely forgotten about the party. My friends had told me about it the first week back from England. It’s been almost a month since then but this is one of those annual parties that Josh throws; a must go party. It was a privilege even being invited. I was knackered from work and I promised my parents I’d babysit Fausto for them while they were still at work. Mum spends most of her time in her art studio these days, preparing for the exhibition that’s taking place in two days while Dad works with the news where, recently, he’s been sent off to America to report a disaster.

I texted Bruna back with a rejection to the invitation and an apology. Then, instead of locking my phone and turning back to beautiful scenery outside I scrolled down the messages and clicked on one that has been playing on my mind for weeks. I had ignored this particular text for a while, yet that didn’t stop it from cropping into mind every so often. Every time I read it, it caused a lump to form in the centre of my throat, it caused anger to pulse through my veins but most importantly it brought back unwanted memories. However, I didn’t have the courage to delete it.

He sent the text on the second week back and at the time I froze after I read it. I thought I’d never hear from him again. I thought the party was the last of him and I promised myself never to forgive him for what he has done to me, with my sister too. But when I read the text for the first time, my feelings for him returned. I refused to believe it initially, pushing back all the passion, all the lust and all the love I had for him. I know I have Liam and I like him, I really do but I can’t help the feelings I have for Diego. Diego’s text is simple, yet it reminded me of the reasons for loving him in the first place:

Diego

I am truly sorry, darlin’. I love you and always will. Please

let me see you. We need to talk. xxx

I read the text so much that I had memorised and could recite it if anyone asked. Of course, I hadn’t told Liam about it yet. I miss Liam so much and now, it seems like meeting him was only a dream. He barely texts or calls me; we’ve only spoken on the phone once since I got back.

I glanced at the clock on the wall and sighed before standing up and heading to my door. It was soon approaching six and that meant dinner, but with Mum at the studio and Dad far, far away I had to be the one cooking. Just as I walked out of my room and shut the door behind me, slipping my phone into my pocket again, Fausto exited Ignacia’s room. His face lit up and he skipped over to me with a piece of paper in hand.

“Look, look Em, Iggy drew me a picture of Pikachu and Ash from Pokémon.” His curly hair flopped up and down as he jumped with excitement to show me.

I ruffled his hair and let out a laugh. “Oh, it’s beautiful. Is Ignacia going to stay for dinner?” I asked him, returning his drawing to him.

He shook his head. “Nuh uh, she’s going out to play with her friends.” His blue eyes bore with sadness. He really loves Ignacia.

Ever since that day I told Liam the truth, Ignacia hasn’t been the same and especially when we came back. She either locked herself in her room or was out until late. Mum or Dad never usually notice if she’s out because they assume she’s in her room. She doesn’t even come out for food and the only person she lets into her room or talks to at home is Fausto.

I feel sorry for Ignacia, I really do but I can’t find it in myself to forgive her. To be honest I’m really worried about her, I just can’t help but cringe at the mention of her. The imagery of her and Diego at that party is forever indented in my head. How I’m able to accept Diego and not her for it is beyond a mystery to me. I just…love him. I just can’t face him at the moment.

“Emma, I’m really hungry. Can we have nuggets?” Fausto moaned as I momentarily zoned out.

“Sure Fussy, I’ll go fry some chips and nuggets for us,” I smiled.

“I’m going to stick this on my wall and draw a something for Iggy too,” he giggled before heading off to his room. I smiled all the way down the stairs and into the kitchen. Just as I was searching through the bottom cupboard for the frying pan my phone buzzed, but this time it continued to buzz. I gritted my teeth because the vibration really irritates me. I pulled out my phone and raised an eyebrow at the screen as it was an unknown number. I picked up anyway.

“Hello?” I said quietly, finally pulling out the frying pan and placing it on the stove.

“Hey Emma, it’s me, Liam.” A very cheery voice spoke through the phone. I squealed with excitement as my heart beat faster. I really missed him.

“Oh my God! I’ve missed you.” I paced the kitchen.

“I have too, babe. But guess what?” he replied excitedly.

“What?”

“Harry and I are coming over to visit you in a few days. Everything is booked,” he answered. I found myself jumping up and down. Liam was really coming.

“Hey! Since when?” I heard Harry complain.

“Oh my God! Are you serious? That’s amazing.” I shouted really loudly without realising. “But what about the others?”

“Well, we have a few interviews and a live show in Spain in a couple of weeks so they’ll join us later on. I just thought I could spend some time with you before I’d be too busy to see you,” he explained. “Would you mind if we stayed at yours for a few weeks?”

“What, all of you? There’s no room,” I answered, sadly. Although it would be fun to have them stay over.

“No, just Harry and me, the hotel wasn’t booked for the few weeks before the boys’ will arrive and we figured it’ll be easier to stay with you and your family rather than find an available hotel.”

“Oh right, I’ll have to check with my parents, although if you do stay, you’ll have to sleep in the living room,” I replied, placing oil in the frying pan now.

“I’m sure we can handle it. Yeah Okay, let us know by tomorrow if you can. I’ve got to go now, babe. See you soon.” I could hear the mutters of the other boys’ in the background.

“Yeah, see you soon.” I put the phone down and placed it back into my pocket before dancing around the room while frying the chips and nuggets. Then I froze. Crap! What about Diego? I don’t want him to cause any trouble and it’s a sure thing that if I don’t answer to his text he’d come looking for me sooner or later. Maybe it was time to get Diego done and over with before Liam got here. I took out my phone out and scrolled down to text, the same text I read a million times before. Then I clicked reply.

To Diego

Fine, how about tomorrow 12pm?

During my break?

With that I sent the text to him. Nerves built up as I waited for his reply to my text. I jumped when my phone buzzed moments later and checked the text. It was a simple agreement. I had a feeling this was a very bad idea.