Gwendalynn | Gwen OneShot #1

Start from the beginning

I hadn't noticed before, but Kyle had been holding two pieces of paper, clutching them with his thumb and index finger. Kyle nodded slowly, and let out a sigh. He turned with my dad and they both sat in one of the front pews.

First, my mother sat on the far end, my father next to her, and then there was a small gap between him and my boyfriend. I took that space and rest my head on Kyle's shoulder. I wrapped both my arms around and clutched his hand, even though he couldn't feel a thing. This is what it used to be like when we watched movies at home, or when I was just tired and I wanted to be close to him.

"I love you." I whispered, snuggling closer next to his body and rubbing his bicep.

Kyle said nothing in return, which was expected, but there was still a small hope that he could feel me near.

Maybe this was my viewing because it seemed that only people were speaking. Funerals usually consist of priests... Don't they? It didn't matter. What mattered was that my father was speaking, my mother next to him, clutching his arm behind the podium.

"Gwendalynn..." he started, a small crack in his voice, "was an extraordinary being. She was a beautiful girl that deserved to live a long life."

I could see the tears falling from my father's eyes. I began to regret spending so much time with Kyle when I should've been near my parents more when I was alive, but even if I had to change it, I think I'd still choose Kyle over them, which probably shouldn't be the case, but it's the truth.

"But I'm glad that she's okay now, wherever she is. Seven years was a long time to be suffering such an awful disease."

I'd go through it all again, Daddy.

"She was my baby girl. I was supposed to protect her and I couldn't. I couldn't protect her from the one thing that took her life." he said, a frown becoming evident as his lip quivered. "No parent should witness their child passing away before themselves. No one should witness the death of a seventeen year old girl."

I shook my head and looked up at Kyle. He bowed his head, pressing his lips together. I wanted so badly to kiss them, to make him feel what I feel whenever he kissed me. I wanted him to know that I was still oh-so badly in love with him.

But I also wanted to go towards my father. I wanted to hug him, to tell him that I'll always be his baby girl, that I'll never forget him and that I appreciate every single thing he's done for me.

"Gwen was a very strong, independent person. She managed to do things that amazed me from the day she was born to the day she passed. Even though she never went to school, she was smarter than any other child I encountered. She was perfect, and even though the Lord decided to take her at such an unexpected, unpreferable time, I'm glad she's not hurting every day like she used to."

A long silence came over the room. Quiet sobs were heard. I didn't care to see who they were from. All I cared about were my parents and the boy I was holding onto. They were the only ones that mattered.

Slowly, I unclasped my fingers around Kyle and stood up, advancing towards my father.He continued to stand still as I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. He didn't move, didn't flinch.

He could not feel me.

And that sliced a perfectly sharp knife right through me.

I was absolutely invisibly to them. I was completely and utterly gone in their eyes. My mother finally let out a loud cry. She was hurting, too. I went towards her and did the same as what I did to my father. She was my mother. She was one of the three most important people in my life and she was crying over me. She was crying over my death.