Chapter 1: An Extraordinary Proposal

It happened on the road to Zanzica.

Leeze had stopped for the evening at a fandanga, a quasi-inn catering to well-mannered folk, where she had stabled her horse and taken a room. On her way to the country capital of Zanzica to pay her family's annual tax allotment, she felt safer dressed as a youth in shirt and breeches, her sword at her side, rather than in the female garments she would have worn if she could have afforded an escort to accompany her.

Although three stars had already appeared in the darkening sky, she remained outside the fandanga, letting the breeze lift her dark hair braided in a single tail down her back in the style worn by middle- and upper-class males. Lanterns had been lit around the open space, and into the light strode a young man, his sword by his side, his pale hair also braided in a tail down his back.

He glanced at her, then stopped and inclined his head. "Well met," he said. "After a sun cycle of inactivity I would appreciate sword practice. May I have the honor?"

Leeze had been fencing for 15 star cycles since the age of five star cycles. Being an only child, her father had decreed it important that she could protect herself and her mother if needs be.

Should she accept this young man's request, or beg off with some excuse?

Before she could reply, he grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet. "I'm Perth am Machal," he said, not giving her time to offer back the male name she had assumed for traveling. He still held her hand, which made it easier to remember not to curtsey.

In his other hand he held his sword, and as he dropped her hand she withdrew her own.

They stood across from each other, bowed, and began. As this was a practice match, there was no major cause for worry. Yet always competitive, she wanted to make a good showing.

Their blades parried back and forth, the young man – Perth? – pushing her inch by inch into a corner. And that's when she fell over – a milk bucket left in the open space.

He laughed and offered her a hand up. As he pulled her to a standing position, she overbalanced and fell chest forward into him.

In an instant he backed away. "What's this? You deceive me."

Leeze shook her head. "You didn't give me a chance to say anything. I didn't even have time to say my name."

"And what name would that have been?"

"Perhaps Leem am Holden, or my real name of Leeze am Holden."

He remained standing, staring at her. Then he smiled. "Perhaps after all we are well met. Depending on your circumstances, I may have an opportunity for you."

Leeze sheathed her sword, ready to flee if he decided to boast of her sex in front of others. Or possibly take advantage of that sex himself.

"Dine with me," he said. "I would know what can be arranged."

***

Leeze sat at a small table in the corner of the eating room facing Perth. She had remained in her male garments and asked that he not call her Leeze aloud.

After the fandanga owner served wine, bread and cheese, Perth asked her why she traveled in disguise and why alone.

"I am taking my family's tax allotment to Zanzica. My father now dead, there is no one else to take it."

"No brothers, uncles or even retainers to accompany you?"

Leeze shook her head. "Holden is a small family landholding. My mother remains there with two helpers."