Zane walked down the stairs as Hank walked back to his mom in the car as my mom looked at me. "Honey, he can't ride a bi-" she cut off when Zane came around on his motorcycle. Her jaw dropped to the floor as I smirked down at how sexy my mate looked.

"I think he's okay, Mama," I said and then held her arm as she walked down the stairs. Zane waited for us to be strapped in before zipping after Hank who was already on his way to the church.

"Your father is not going to like this," she hummed.

"Not one bit."

***

We all walked into the church ten minutes later with one Zane Thomas behind me. I thought that when I stepped over the threshold I would burst into flames, but instead I felt free. I was breaking the rules and yet this was the most alive I had ever been walking into this church.

Hank and Laura, his mom, sat on the outer right edge of the pew before my mom slid in, then me, and then lastly Zane. He was the closest to my father and we were definitely in the front row, so I knew this was not going to go well.

"So, how does this work?" he leaned over and asked.

I looked up at where my dad was talking to a few men and cringed. "He talks, we listen, insert "Amen" in appropriate places, and then we get to leave," I said before looking down to where Laura was talking to my mom. Hank was staring at Zane and me with a look of confusion on his face. I gave him an awkward smile before looking back to Zane.

"It goes by quickly if you don't think about how mind numbing it actually is," I whispered. Zane nodded and reached for my hand, only for me to rip it away. Our eyes linked together and I apologized through the stare.

We aren't allowed to do that here, Zane.

He nodded with a frown. I saw him look up toward my dad who was just about to start. "You look like him," he said softly. "But, you are definitely sexier."

I laughed and slapped his shoulder. "Jessie!" I heard my dad hiss and I blanched. Of course. Today of all days he wants to notice me.

"Yes, Dad?" I asked, gaining a few chuckles from the church goers.

He gave me a forced smile and I felt my life ending. "Who are you poking fun with in the middle of church?" he asked, before looking over at Zane.

"Charles," my mom said in warning. "No need to pick on kids for having fun." He gave my mom a warm smile before looking back to Zane.

"Well then," he said. "Glad you could join us. Lesson one, son, be quiet." I shrank down in my seat as Zane gave my dad a cold glare.

And let the war begin.

After the sermon was over, Zane and I had planned to go back to his place so we could both relax. I was stressed after having to sit through my mate laughing at every little thing my dad said. He would even go as far as to poke me in order to get me in on the joke.

I knew better.

I kissed my mom on the cheek before making a mad dash to Zane's bike. We were almost out the door when a hand clasped my shoulder and turned me around. Zane went to get between us but I stopped him with a glare.

"Hey, Dad," I said nonchalantly. I knew he was about to chew me out for either the sermon or the fact that I was about to skip Sunday Funday at the church. I really didn't think I was cut out for that.

"Where are you and your-" he stopped and looked Zane up and down- "-friend going?"

To fuck your son.

Zane!

"Zane and I were going to go hang out at the park," I lied. Zane huffed beside me, gaining my father's attention. I felt my stomach drop as my father straightened his back and looked down his nose at Zane.

"I don't think I have had the pleasure of meeting you," my dad sneered as he offered his hand to Zane.

Zane looked at his hand before meeting my dad's eyes. "I'm Zane Thomas." I'm the one who fucks your son.

I pinned him with a glare. "Dad, we should be going."

Dad looked over at me and shook his head. "You have obligations at this church that are more important than hanging out with a delinquent," he snapped. My jaw dropped as Zane froze beside me. "Get in the church and start racking the chairs in the children's area."

"But Dad-"

"Get inside!" he snapped and people who were passing by stopped and looked at us. Zane grabbed my arm and I practically fainted as he got in my dad's face. I wanted to yell at him but by the way his eyes were practically glowing, I could see he wasn't in charge of his impulses.

"He's coming with me," Zane growled.

My dad looked at him like he had grown an extra head. In order to stop this madness before I had to worry about cleaning up his mess, I pulled Zane away and smiled at my dad. "I'm going, Dad. I'll meet you inside," I said as calmly as I could. Dad gave a smug smile before walking back inside. I blew out a breath before looking up at Zane who was glaring at me.

"You coming?" he asked me.

"No, Zane. I have to stay."

He crossed his arms over his chest as he looked down at me. "You're kidding me." I shook my head. I couldn't pick my mate over my dad. It would cause too much drama and too many questions.

"Zane, just go home and I'll see you at school tomorrow," I said softly. His green eyes burrowed into my blue ones with such intensity. "Please."

He shook his head with his jaw tightened. He didn't even tell me goodbye. He just walked away from me, got on his motorcycle, and left me there. I stared longingly after him, only to jump when a warm hand landed on my shoulder.

"Come on, kid. We have a Funday to do," Hank said, and he pulled me away from my spot.

I hated being the preacher's son. I just hated it.