Changing

It has been a year since the tragic death of Harry's father. The coping process with Harry and Anne took a while but they got through it. Anne now had a job as a store clerk at a market, Harry made sure he would work too. He would often help Greg at the bakery and every now and then he would get some sort of pay. Whether it would be free bread or it would some kind of money.

Harry is currently seated at the table and working on his school work before the door opens. He looks up and he smiles. "Hello mom." He said walking over.

"Hi Harry...did you have a good day?" She asked, she seemed slightly distracted but Harry didn't question it.

"Yeah school was okay and Greg didn't have me do much. I got some cookies because of it." He said hoping his mum would be delighted. Instead she stopped him and grabbed his hand. He looks back and raises his eyebrows. "Mom...what is it?'

"Harry it's been a year since your father died and I decided it was time for me to move on." She pauses and sighs. Harry is still confused and quiet. "I um I met someone at work..."

Harry wanted to be happy for her, but he didn't know what to think about the whole thing, so he listened to her talk about the man who also has a few children himself. "When do I get to meet him?" He asked after he smiled at his mom because he saw how genuinely happy she was since his father died.

"They will be coming over tomorrow, his twins will be accompanying him. Would you help me make dinner?"

Harry nodded. "Of course I'll help you mummy, I'll even ask Greg for the fancy bread as pay for this week."

Anne smiled. "What do you think we should make then?"

Harry shrugged. "Maybe like chicken parm and alfredo pasta? We can also have garlic bread or dinner rolls."

Anne nodded. "And we can do a salad! Maybe have something for an appetizer?"

"We can do those spinach puff pastries that you make all the time, at least you don't have to buy the spinach cause you grow it."

"That's not a bad idea, tomorrow I'll give you a list and you can retrieve the ingredients while I tidy up the house. Sound good?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, sounds good."

Harry was dreading to meet the new man in his mom's life. "What if they don't like me?" He said to himself as he was brushing his teeth that night.

Harry sighs before he spits the toothpaste out of his mouth and rinses to get all the remaining minty substance that was in his mouth. He finishes in the bathroom before going to his bedroom and he looks to the silver pocket watch on his night stand. He picks it up and looks to it. He remembers getting it from his father when he was only seven years old.

He flips the watch over and looks to the back. His initials were graved into the material and he gives a small smile. It gives him memories of his father and he sighs as tears start to form. "No Harry...it's been a year...no more tears..." He mutters to himself before he looks away and then gets under the sheets.

He rests his hand under his head and he looks up to the ceiling. He wonders what these people will be like, he hopes they like him. He hopes they are really nice and willing to be close to Harry. He sighs before he rolls onto his side and snuggles into his pillow. Right now he needed sleep, so he sighed and simply closed his eyes. Letting sleep slowly take over.

The morning came too fast for Harry's liking, he wanted the day to drag on, but knowing how much the world hates him it won't be the case. He stretched his muscles out and let his joints pop from being locked in one place all night. He looked at the clock and groaned as it was time for him to get up. He put on some random clothes, ruffling his hair a bit before he went downstairs to grab a quick breakfast before he went in town to grab the things his mum asked him to get. She wasn't home when he got downstairs so he just figured she went to go speak to the man before tonight would happen.

Harry sighed as even though it's been a year since his father died that people still talk about their family whenever either of them go into town, it was terrible. He tried to drown them out, but most of the time it would really get to him.

He grabbed everything his mother told him they needed, stopping at the antique store on his way home to get his pocket watch tuned up before it would break. He got a new chain while he was there, the shopkeeper adoring Harry gave it to him for free, and then he was on his way.

When he got home he let out a loud yawn, he saw it was just around lunchtime and decided to make himself a sandwich before he went down for a nap. He laid down on his bed after he ate and thought about the different scenarios that could happen at dinner. He really wanted the family to like him, but he didn't even know if that would be possible.

He finally closed his eyes and fell asleep soundly.

"Harryyyy!" Anne called as she came home. Harry opened his eyes from his nap and he looked to the time. It was in the middle of the afternoon so Harry gets up and he walks downstairs. "Ah Harry...did you get the stuff I needed?" She asked and Harry nodded.

"Do you need help with the cooking?" He asked. Anne gives her son a smile and she nods.

"Of course you can darling. Can you cook the chicken and the spinach puff pastries?" She asked. Harry nods and kisses her cheek before he gets to work.

Harry got the chicken thin and pounded it out so that it would be easier to cook fully when they cook it in the oil before they throw it into the oven. He got the chicken all ready and breaded, turning on the heat and getting the oil to heat up before he started to get a nice crust on the chicken.

Once they were finished, he layered the chicken, sauce and cheese into a baking dish before he got started on the pastries. It was just after 6 when the food was almost done and they were set to get here in about a half hour. Harry changed into something more appropriate before his mother did the same.

Harry let out a shaky sigh when he heard the doorbell ring so he went to answer it and was met with three people that needed to lay off on the make-up, perfume and cologne. If Harry wasn't trying to impress them he would have started to cough at the wave that hit him directly in the face.

"You must be Harry, I'm James. These are my twins, Louis and Lottie. It's really nice to finally put a face to a name that I hear so frequently at work."

"It's nice to meet you three as well, mum is in the kitchen getting everything together and dinner will be done in a few minutes. Let me take you to the dining room and I'll get you guys something to drink." Harry couldn't help but shake off the daggers that were burning through the back of his head as he led them further into the house.

Harry let them sit down and he left to bring out the pitcher of lemonade that his mother just finished. He looks to her and notices how hard she is working. He walks over and kisses her head, "You shouldn't overwork yourself." He said simply. Anne looks over with a tired smile and nods.

"I am almost finished I just have to set the table..." She began. Harry took a hold of her hands and looked her in the eye. "Go relax...I will take care of it.." He said kissing her cheek. He does that a lot but it is to simply show her that he cares.

Anne gives her son a smile. "You're a good boy Harry." She says before she leaves Harry to finish her job originally.

Harry sighed when he heard laughter coming from the dining room and then frowned when he heard it was the story of the time where he went to school one time with his clothes over his pajamas. He didn't know why they were talking about him, but as soon as he came in with the salad everyone stopped laughing, making Harry more uncomfortable.

He went to go sit down on the chair when he heard Louis utter, "Great I get to sit next to that thing." Making Harry slump down in his chair almost in tears, he didn't even do anything to the kid and he's already making him feel like he's nothing.

The whole night Harry was called names, his mother not paying attention as she was only interested in James, and he became their server and maid as everyone left the dining room to go to the living room for desert leaving Harry the mess. His mother didn't notice that he wasn't in the living room with them, didn't notice he wasn't with them when they left the house and didn't notice that he waited up for her to get home.

He was all alone.