Chapter 2

Elizabeth ---->

Almost a week had gone since I had last seen Adrian. We both decided that exchanging phone numbers was pointless. He was moving in two days and I lived in Syracuse. Not that he needed to know where I lived.

Plus, I was in high school and he was twenty four. The legal age in New York was sixteen with parent consent but there was no way my father would agree. He would first beat Adrian then ground me for life.

The only reason I knew the legal age of consent was because my father was a cop. He had been called out on many cases where family would complain of a girl’s older boyfriend but the parents had allowed it. There was nothing he could do.

My friends drilled me all week for what happened. I denied sleeping with the guy but they wouldn’t believe me. Nothing I said could change their mind that I was some kind of skank that night.

Whatever, I had more important things to worry about. School started tomorrow and I needed to start making decisions about my college. My parents wanted me to stay here but I was starting to hate the East coast.

My Aunt Kristy lived in Arizona and I loved visiting her. There was no humidity and the hot weather was something I loved.

I would be lying if I didn’t say that Adrian never crossed my mind. In fact, I thought about him frequently since I still had his maroon sweatshirt. The faint scent of his cologne was on the hood and made me think back to that night.

I went to bed that night a bit restless and felt like senior year was going to be a blast. Everything else had led up to this moment where we finally made the decision on what direction our lives would take. I couldn’t wait.

**

“I made you toast and eggs,” my mom said, giving me a warm smile. She was already dressed in her expensive suit and had her auburn hair pulled back in a loose ponytail.

I took the plate from her and sat down with a sigh. Mornings just weren’t my thing. Thank goodness I looked exactly like my mom. We both had the same hair which air dried into a flipped out look. Most girls would kill for this kind of style and I didn’t even have to try.

I also had her tiny nose, pale skin, and slender body. The only thing I got from my dad were his golden eyes and height. He was six feet tall which made me a nice five foot ten. The golden eyes were something odd but I enjoyed the compliments.

The only thing I hated were the freckles sprinkled across my nose. My mom had the same thing and it made me look a few years younger. For her I guess that was a good thing but I hated it.

After finishing my breakfast I felt a bit better. I gave my mom a kiss and wished her good luck at the office. She was a lawyer, an amazing one at that, and was trying to become the third partner. Hopefully she did and then they wouldn’t be so nosy when it came to my personal life.

I jumped in my car and drove off to school. It only took ten minutes before the ugly yellow building came into view. Whoever thought that painting the school a mustard yellow was a good idea, must’ve been crazy.

The engine hadn’t even died yet when my door was yanked open. Jennifer was standing there with a huge smile on her face.

“Come on cranky! Let’s get to homeroom so we can grab our schedules. Michelle said she’ll meet us there since her and Zach need to do some catching up.”

“Gross,” I shuddered, thinking about my two best friends having a heavy make out sessions. Hopefully that’s all they were doing.

The four of us had been inseparable since the second grade. Recently Michelle and Zach decided that they were in love. Jennifer and I were happy but it was still weird seeing them kiss. He use to pour sand down Michelle’s pants and now he was dying to take them off.