Chapter 1

EMERSON

"Emerson! Jay! We have a surprise!" Mom yells. I put my book down and hurry in.

"What is it? We aren't going on a 'family trip' again are we?" Jay dreads our family trips. 

"No actually. Do you remember your cousin Claire? Well she is going to visit us while her parents go to France." Mom explains.

"How old is she?" I ask.

"She is 13. And please keep everything sorcery hidden. She is just a normal girl. But at the same time I want her to hang with you guys and your friends as much as possible. Please no sorcery!" Mom demands.

"Please! We can keep it hidden! We hid it from you for almost 15 years! How long will she be here and when does she come?" Jay says.

"Jacob, don't be arrogant. You should not be proud of hiding stuff. She will be here 2 months and she comes in three days." Mom answers.

"Great." I head back to my room and  FaceTime Lexi and Maddie.

"So... My cousin is coming for two months and she has to hang out with us." I tell them.

"Is she a D?" Maddie asks.

"No idea. Probably not. She would have shown some sort of power by now." I say as Gran calls us for dinner.

"Got to go!" I hang up and head to the kitchen.

            ***
LEXI
I just ate dinner and I am sitting in my bed doodling.
Ring Ring

"Hey," I say.

"Sup. Just heard from Jay about his cousin. Jay thinks she is a D." Mike says.

"And you are telling me this... Why?" I ask.

"Because we want to know what you think. You have a pretty good sense of determining powers." He answers.

"Well first of all I have to meet her. Second of all I have a life." I say.

"Ok. Are we all meeting tomorrow to discuss plans?" He asks.

"I guess" I hang up and go back to doodling.

Ring Ring Ring

"Ok! I don't know!" I yell.

"It's Maddie..." Maddie stammers.

"Oh my gosh! Sorry I thought you were Jay or Ethan." I say.

"Ok. I just wanted to call to see if you wanted to study tomorrow." She says.

"Sure. See you tomorrow." I hang up and turn off my phone. Finally some peace.