chapter 4 - Family Ties

Start from the beginning

Damon rushed forward, biting her neck, feeding.

Eliza screamed.

Stefan: (voice over from 1.03 Friday Night Bites) "They're not puppets. They don't exist for your amusement, for you to feed on whenever you want to."

From 1.03 "Friday Night Bites", in the living room of the Gilbert House, Stefan and Damon were talking.

"Sure they do," Damon told him. "They all do. They're whatever I want them to be. They're mine for the taking."

From 1.03 "Friday Night Bites", at the prep rally, Stefan opened the box to reveal an antique silver necklace. It was handmade, having a red ruby near the latch.

Elena chuckled in surprise, taking it out. "Oh, my God. It's beautiful."

"Wear it for me, for good luck," Stefan told her.

Alex took the pendant, smelling it. "Is that rose that I smell?"

"No, it's, uh, it's an herb," Stefan answered. "It's nice, huh?"

"I love it," Elena told him, turning around, handing him the necklace, pulling her ponytail to the side.

Stefan put the necklace on.

"It's so pretty," Alex told him. "Where did you get it?"

"I got it too long ago to remember," Stefan told them. "But, if you really like it..." He pulled out a bracelet with an identical charm as the necklace. "I think you'll like this just fine."

 Alex smiled, holding out her wrist. 

Stefan latched it on. 

From 1.03 "Friday Night Bites", in the parking lot of the school, Damon compelled Alex. "And right now... you want to kiss me."

Alex slowly drifted closer.

Damon smirked.

Alex slapped him across the face instead of kissing him, using her hand that had the bracelet Stefan had given her. 

Damon: (voice over from 1.03 Friday Night Bites) "Vervain in the bracelet."

From 1.03 "Friday Night Bites", in the alley, Stefan, Damon, Kaylin and Nicola were arguing.

"And I'm sure that if Alex has it, then Elena definitely has it," Damon told him.

"I knew that you had a weird fixation on Alex, and I made sure she was protected, too," Stefan told him. "Deal with it."

"Well, I admit, I was a bit surprised," Damon told him. "It's been a while since anyone could resist my... compulsion. I guess I could just seduce her the old fashioned way. Or Elena. Or both. Or I could just... eat them."

Stefan turned around, walking closer.

Nicola looked at Damon, shaking her head. "No. You're not gonna hurt either of them, Damon."

"No?" Damon asked.

"Because, deep down inside, there's a part of you that feels for one of maybe both of them," Nicola told him. "We were worried that you had no humanity left inside of you, that you may have actually become the monster that you pretend to be."

"Who's pretending?" Damon asked.

"Then kill me," Nicola told him.

"Well, I'm tempted," Damon told her.

"No, you're not," Nicola told him, stepping closer. "You won't kill me, because it doesn't matter how distant we are, I still matter to Stefan and Kaylin. And if you try to hurt me, you'll have to go through them, possible even to kill them. And you won't kill your own siblings. You've had lifetimes to do it, and yet, here they are, they're still alive, and there you are, you're still haunting Stefan, still taunting Kaylin, after 145 years."