"Thank you, friend" I said slowly. We smiled at each other, then Eowyn let go of my hand and opened the door.

"Come", she motioned "there is a feast awaiting us".

I looked out for members of the fellowship as we strode along to the great hall. I didn't have to look far, however, as Merry and Pippin bundled out of a door to our right, which I remembered as the room where the fellowship was sleeping.

"My ladies" Pippin smirked. Merry's enthusiastic greetings soon followed, and I felt a sudden upswing of affection for the two of them. Bending down with a little difficulty in my dress, I held out my arms. The hobbits ran into them and we laughed as we hugged.

"I've missed you, you idiots" I said, releasing them and standing up.

"We've missed you a lot too" Merry grinned. "Not least because you're far better at getting yourself out of sticky situations than we are"

"I find that easy to believe" Eowyn smiled. She seemed to like the hobbits. "Aúthiel, I must go and assist my uncle in his preparations. I'll see you later."

After saying goodbye to Eowyn, the door to the fellowship's room opened again. Legolas and Aragorn stepped out, both seemingly startled by my choice of clothes.

"You're in a dress!" Aragorn commented incredulously. I chuckled.

"I noticed".

Aragorn grinned and turned to the hobbits. "Come", he ushered them on ahead as Legolas and I walked on behind.

Unexpectedly, I felt Legolas' lips press softly to my cheek. "You look wonderful", he smiled. My cheeks rouged and I smiled shyly back as we entered the hall.

It was full to the brim with soldiers and their families, all seated on long benches. The chatter filling the hall was cheerful, filled with laughter. The men of Rohan sat with their wives and families, laughing and joking.

The fellowship found separate spaces on the crowded benches, and I ended up with Gandalf somewhere near the front. The king stood at the top of the hall, Eomer taking his place beside him. The hall fell silent as Eowyn, dressed in a pale, embroidered gown and looking every inch a princess, passed him a cup, taking her own place on the other side of the king. This Théoden held forwards, and at this cue every person stood up. I grabbed my tankard and followed the lead of Gandalf beside me as the king began to speak.

"Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the victorious dead!"

"Hail!" the people shouted in answer. It was of Haldir I thought as I raised my tankard to my lips.

The drink was much stronger than anything I had tried before, but it was pleasant once I got used to the unfamiliar taste. Once the formalities were over, everyone sat down and turned to the tables, laden with hot food. Gandalf smiled as he piled potatoes onto my plate.

***

The night wore on and, eventually, the food was all consumed. People started to stand, to find friends that they had not eaten with, and to group off, each holding a tankard of ale and, in some cases, a pipe filled with tobacco.

I lost sight of Gandalf in the crowd. He had wondered off, talking to various soldiers. I had never been all that accomplished at talking to new people, so I had left him to it. Spotting Eowyn and Aragorn a few paces away, I started to walk towards them but hesitated. They were standing close, and as I watched Eowyn handed Aragorn a cup, which he took gently from her, brushing her hands with his. For the first time, I wondered if Aragorn reciprocated Eowyn's feelings towards him, though I couldn't see how, since he seemed to still be in love with Arwen.