I firmly grab Emily's hand in mine, and squeeze it. 

"Don't worry, I won't let anything or anyone hurt her. She's, like, my national treasure." I joke, and the old lady smiles. 

"Welcome to the Sonnett family, Lindsey" Emma yells from where she is. "Now, I'm so fucking hungry, can we please eat ?"

"Sure !" Allie exclaims, and we all burst into laughter. 

I look at Emily, who seems to be concerned. When I give her a defying look, she only mutters : 

"We'll go for a walk after dinner, and then I'll tell you what's on my mind." 

I nod. 

**

We are walking by the lake, hand in hand, star surrounding our pretty little world. I am looking down at her from time to time. 

"When did you fall in love with me ?" she asks me, as she stops walking. When she sees me frown, she faces me and adds ; "I mean, the exact moment ?"

I shyly look at her. Oh my God, this is so embarrassing ! I shake my head, remembering that very special moment. 

"Well... uhm, I guess..." I start, but then I know what moment really made me fall for her. "When you entered that classroom that day, I knew you were trouble."

She smirks. "Yeah, when our eyes met, something definitely happened. And then, we fell in love slowly. Remember how much you hated me in the beginning ?"

"I didn't hate you, I hated the way you made me feel" I correct her. 

Her smile fades. "Past tense" she murmurs. 

I shake my head, before my arms surround her waist, making her look at me in the eyes. "Present tense." I whisper, before closing the gap between us. 

After a few seconds, she softly pushed me away. I know she was about to say something, and she hated the fact that every time she was trying to be serious, I'd mess up everything by kissing her or talking when I am not supposed to. Her smirking eyes are now on mine, taking over my whole world by storm. 

She always has. 

"Listen-" she starts in a way more serious tone, and I grown worry. Her lips are drown in a shy smile, as she continues : "I know you don't believe in fairy tales, but I do, and I truly believe you are mine. I am in love with you, Lindsey, and I can't imagine my life with you in it." This time, my heart is beating hella hard in my chest, and every hence of my body is vibrating as her words slowly make their effect. She grabs both my hands and caress them slowly. She then smiles a little wider. "And I believe you feel the same way."

I try to hold a scream back when I whisper ; "I do."

She burst into laughter. When I give her a questioning look, she only answers by saying in a very deep voice : 

"Great, that would have been so embarrassing." My laugh joins hers, but only for a brief moment. She then pulls it together and goes on : "Anyway, I bought you something this morning before the game, and I wanted to tell you how beautiful, selfless and prefect you are by giving it to you, and asking you one question..."

As she searches into her pocket, I have a hard time swallowing my saliva. "Emily.." I start, worried that she might ask that question that soon. 

"Don't worry grandma, I'm not gonna propose ! We're too young for that shit" she exclaims, and her laugh just warms my heart. I sigh out of relief, as she is making fun of me. She takes out a very tiny box, where a black ring lies in. She then puts it on my finger, as I realize she has one as well. I start frowning, and she smirks. "Lindsey, will you-"

"Still not a proposal ?" I ask, nervously laughing. 

She rolls her eyes. "Shut up, I'm trying to be romantic. So, as I was saying-" She then takes a deep breath, and the words come naturally out of her mouth : "-will you be my official girlfriend ?"

"Wait" I cut her, frowning harder than before. "Wasn't I already your girlfriend ?"

Emily rolls her eyes. "Please, make an effort. We weren't officials. I'm asking you to be officials. What do you say ?" 

"Mmh" I let out, knowing that she was dying from the inside. Emily really needs to hear things to believe they're real. Instead of answering, I only say : "I'll have to think about that... I mean, weighting the proms and cons, because you obviously are cute, but you're stubborn, annoying, and pretty-"

"Lindsey" she says, raising her eyebrows. 

"Of course we can be officials, Em" I happily say, rolling my eyes at her, smirking. 

She jumps into my arms, and I have enough strength to hold her up as she attacks my lips with hers. After a few minutes of kissing, I put her down, but she doesn't un-wrap her arms from around my neck. I lean in a final time to press my lips against hers, before diving into her diamond eyes. 

I smile. 

"I love you" I then whisper. 

"I love you too, Lindsey." 

THE END

Thanks for your support, and don't worry : Horett is far from being forgotten. 

Happy New Year !