The Letter

The Letter

The Malfoy mansion is where our story begins. Draco and his wife, Milicent reside in the old mansion with Lucius and their daughter, Gemma. Draco now has a job in the department of mysteries, and Milicent stays at home tending to Lucius in his sickly state, and giving Gemma chores. Whenever Gemma does something incorrectly, she is punished. One of Milicent's horrible punishments begins our story.

"You didn't dust the end tables as I told you to!" Milicent shouted.

"I'm sorry mum, I haven't finished the dishes yet!" Gemma cried.

"I don't care! I told you to dust first!"

"I'm sorry!"

"Crucio!" Gemma screamed in pain, and fell to the floor. Right then, Draco returned home from work.

"Milicent! What do you think you're doing!?" Draco knocked her wand out of her hand, and rushed to his daughter's side.

"She didn't do as she was told," Milicent snapped.

"That doesn't mean you use the Cruciatus Curse on her! She's only ten, Milicent! She's a child!" Draco shouted, lifting the small girl. He carried her out of the kitchen, up the stairs, and into her bedroom. Her sobs turned to hiccups, and she eventually calmed down enough to talk.

"Why does mum hate me, daddy?" she asked. Draco sighed, and tightly hugged the small girl.

"She doesn't hate you sweetheart. She just wants the best for you."

"If she doesn't hate me, why does she hurt me?" Draco rocked her slowly.

"I haven't a clue," he whispered. She fell asleep in his arms. He gently put her head down on her pillow, and pulled the blankets over her. He closed the door as quietly as possible so not to wake her, and angrily went to the kitchen where Milicent sat. "Why do you do this? You never did it to her brother," he said furiously. Their eldest child, Thomas, was a fifth year at Hogwarts. That September, he was to be a Slytherin prefect.

"That's because I actually wanted her brother," Milicent said coldly. Before Draco could say anything else, his father walked in with the mail.

"Look who's got a letter, son." He handed Draco an envelope, and a smile lit up his face. It was addressed to Ms. G. Malfoy. Draco opened it, and it was exactly what he thought it was. Gemma had been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Along with her letter, was Thomas's supply list, and a letter to him and Milicent. It read that Thomas was going to be a prefect, and had the lovely Slytherin pin inside. Milicent and Draco cheered for Thomas, and Lucius beamed with pride toward Gemma's acceptance. Milicent could not have cared less.

Moments later, Thomas was back home from his trip to Hogsmeade with Henry Goyle.

"Hello mum. Hello dad," Thomas said.

"That's my boy!" Milicent cried. She squeezed him, and kissed all over his face.

"What happened?"

"You're a prefect! We're proud of you, Thomas," Draco said. He gave his son a pat on the back, and went up the stairs to check on Gemma. When he opened the door, she was sitting up in her bed.

"What's in your hand, daddy?" she asked sleepily.

"It's for you. Read it," Draco said excitedly. She took the envelope, and opened it. As she read the note, a smile formed on her small tear stained face. She was going to Hogwarts.