Remembering And Starting New Beginnings

Eight Years Later, Vixie stood in front of her husband's grave. A bundle of white roses were in her hands before she played them down on the stone. "Beetrice is twelve now. We've been safe so far. She's getting curious as to who her father was. I just don't have the heart to tell her what happened and that you were murdered by her uncle." Vixie sighed, using a hand to shield her eyes.

A white headed captain stood at the grave of a friend. He played a gloved hand over the stone. 'I'm sorry, buddy.' A feminine voice caught his attention. He looked up to see a woman about in her late twenties to early thirties talking to herself. She looked familiar... Yes. It was that woman. He always saw her once a week here. But he had never once spoken to her. 'I'll giving it a shot. Might as well brighten someone's day.'

Vixie was completely lost in her thoughts and memories and jumped when she heard someone clear their throat. She turned to see a tall white haired man with broad shoulders and a rough look. "Yes? Can I help you?" He scratched the back of his head nervously. "Um... Well, its just that I see you here often, so I just wondered who it was you were visiting." "My husband. He died eight years ago." She gestured to engraving on the stone. Commander Donquixote Rosinante lost at age twenty six. Beloved husband and father.

"I'm sorry for your loss. But that name looks familiar..." "It should. His older brother is a warlord, after all. Doflamingo, that evil son of a bitch. I hope he dies a slow death." The man looked down at her in surprise. She didn't seem the type of woman to use such words. What's more, that was his brother? "I'm sorry. I'm still bitter, I guess. But thanks to him, his niece has to grow up without a father. Oh, just listen to me. I just met you and I'm telling you all this." She held her hand out to him. "I'm Vixie. Thanks for listening to me ramble on like a lunatic." He took her offered hand, shaking it. "Smoker. Don't worry about it. Its only natural to be angry. I don't like that man much myself." "Well, would you like to come back to my house? I made cake the other night and my daughter and i can't eat it all by ourselves." Smoker took a step back, nervously looking anywhere but her. "Uh, I don't know..." "Its the least I can do for you to thank you for being so kind." "Well, I guess I have time to spare."

"Mom, is that your friend?" Beetrice, now twelve, glanced up at Smoker curiously. "You could say that. I invited him over to help us get rid of that cake. Would you be a dear and cut some?" The blonde smiled widely, causing a slight pang in Vixie's chest. 'She's got his smile.' "Sure mom!" Beetrice hurried to the kitchen excitedly. "Nice kid," Smoker commented. "I'm doing my best, heh heh. You can sit down anywhere."

They talked and laughed for so long, they almost didn't realize the sun was setting. "Crap! I should get going." Vixie gasped. "You're right! I'm so sorry." He waved off the apology. "Don't worry about it. Thank you. Have a good night." Before he could walk out the door, Beetrice latched onto his arm. Smoker froze, unsure of how to react to such a gesture. Her hazel eyes glimmered innocently. "Do you have to leave?" "Now, Beetrice, he does have business to take care of." "But will you be back?" Smoker stayed silent. This kid took to him quickly. Of course, it was to be expected, not having a father. He nodded to answer her question. "Yeah. Sure, kid." She smiled and let go. "Okay. Be safe!"

He'd never tell anyone else, but those two really grew on him. And they would become the most precious thing in the world to him years later.