17 My Brother's Beta

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I was just about to say the same thing," I said, fighting the urge to stick my tongue out, despite the fact that he couldn't see it anyway. "So what's up?"

"Same old," he said. "Dad dragging me to modeling stuff, me looking for a good College to go to, a girl attacking me with a chainsaw, Mum getting me to-"

"What?!" I yelled, laughing slightly. "Who the hell tried to go all Texas Chainsaw Massacre on you?"

"Isabel, who else?" he said like it was obvious. "So what's happening with my favourite American girl?"

"Oh no, don't try to change the subject," I said. "What happened with Isabel?"

"It was an accident, really," he said in Issy's defense. "Mum wanted me to fill in for the Wood Tech teacher, and Issy accidentally turned on a 'saw, and it sliced me a little."

"How much is a 'little', exactly?" I asked, getting worried. I mean, Van's tough, but it doesn't mean whatever it was didn't hurt. And he's such a Teddy bear, I couldn't imagine him being in pain. It'd make even a gang member cringe.

"Just the side of my jaw," he said, like it was no big deal. "You actually called with perfect timing - I was only allowed to start talking again yesterday."

"Issy probably did everyone a favor," I joked. "I mean, she had motive. You do talk too much, you know?"

"Hey, that's not fair!" he laughed back, mocking offensive. "My talking is a medically renowned problem."

"What's it called; Won't-Shut-Up-itis?" I laughed.

"I feel like throwing a shoe at you," he said, and soon after I heard the sound of something hard hitting a wall.

"Ouch, you got me."

"So what's going on with you?" he asked. "Settling back in alright?"

"Yep," I said, glancing at Aaron. If only he knew. "I managed to bitch a girl down to her place, if that says anything."

"Who are you, and what have you done with Bethy-Babe Smith?" he gasped in horror.

"Bethy-Babe, really?" I laughed. "And it's not as bad as it sounds. She made an uncalled-for comment, and I made a better one."

He made a cat call noise. "Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for Foxy Boxing!"

"Don't you go all Barney Stintson on me," I said, trying to sound stern. "You know that I don't like that show."

"How can you not like 'How I Met Your Mother'?" he said, sounding just as amazed as he did a year earlier when he first showed me the show. "Put me on the phone to your brother, I bet he likes it."

"I'm not with my brother," I said, smiling over at Aaron. "How about his best friend?"