Rest Calm With Me

Simone woke to someone lying down beside her and draping an arm over her back. She smiled sleepily and snuggled up close to the warm body next to her.

"Goodnight," Floor whispered, kissing her forehead.

"Goodnight," Simone whispered back. She closed her eyes and soon, she was asleep.

She dreamed she was falling from a window, the ground three hundred feet below. Her screams were lost in the wind, and there was nothing to grab on to, nothing to stop her from plummeting to her death on the hard pavement. She could see Floor up by the window, quickly growing smaller and smaller, her hand outstretched toward Simone, but unable to reach her.

"Floor!" Simone cried, but she was falling so fast that her voice was ripped from her throat, the sound swept away into the cold, dark night. She shut her eyes as she neared the ground—and suddenly, she woke up in Floor's arms. Relief washed over her as she clung to the other woman, her body trembling so badly that her teeth chattered. Floor held her close, stroking her hair, kissing her, whispering comforting things to her.

"Oh, thank goodness you're here," Simone whispered.

"Shh, Simone, go back to sleep," Floor murmured. "I've got you." She kissed Simone's forehead and settled back against the pillows, Simone's head resting on her chest. Simone closed her eyes, grateful for the warmth and comfort of Floor's arms around her. She could hear Floor's heartbeat right next to her ear, and the sound relaxed her, the rhythmic thump thump thump soothing her, calming her so that she was once more able to fall asleep. She drifted off in a delicious haze of warmth and contentment, no longer afraid. No matter what, Floor would always keep her safe.