Facing the music (or the boy)

Start from the beginning

There was a long silence before the principal spoke again; “well you can do that after school, just don’t let me catch you doing it. You don’t want to make my job any harder now do you son?” He threatened much to Mary’s disbelief.

What kind of principal was he! Mary thought in outrage. Shouldn’t he be the one breaking up fights, not encouraging them?

“What are you all doing standing there? Do you all want a detention?” He barked, and clapping his hands loudly, everybody scuttled off to class.

“Well aren’t you going to get moving?”  He said as his steely gaze focused on Mary.

“Yes sir.” Mary nodded and shooting Victor a warning glance, she hurried away without looking back.

Victor made a move to follow her but the Principal’s stout arm stopped him. “Mr Wilde, I believe we should have a word.” He said.

Victor narrowed his eyes in distaste as he glared at the fat and balding man. Stepping back he cursed when he saw Marc already sprinting off after Mary. “Fine.” He grumbled in defeat.

***

“Wait Mary!” Marc called after her, his footsteps clanking on the shiny linoleum floor as he ran.

Mary pretended not to hear him and had nearly reached her classroom, when he grabbed her by the hand and pulled her back. “I have to talk to you.” He panted.

“What is it Marc?” Mary murmured emotionlessly. She saw him flinch at her tone and almost immediately she felt the beginnings of self blame start to surface inside.

“Can you just give me two minutes to explain, please?” He pleaded softly and Mary didn’t even need to turn around to see the glittering underlining of guilt in his clear blue eyes.

Hesitating for a second, she found she had two choices. Either walk into the classroom and permanently walk out of his life, or let him explain yet knowing fully well that her heart would soften and she would soon fall into the open grave she dug for herself.

“Okay.” Mary whispered, finalizing her decision. Maybe it was a bit foolish, trusting someone who had hurt her again, but she didn’t want to cut him out of her life. Possibly it was because as such an independent person, she had grown dependent on someone, she had grown dependent on him and that warmth and security – she wanted it to last as long as it could.

“Thank you.” Marc exhaled in relief and immediately laced his arms around her, letting his chin settle down on her shoulder. “You don’t know how much that means to me.”

Pulling back to look at her, his face had such a genuinely petulant expression that Mary’s heart clenched, fully knowing that she was the reason for it.

“How do I start?” Marc shook his head with a nervous chuckle, “oh yeah.” And to Mary’s surprise he slapped himself on the face.

Flinching from the sting, Marc gave her a crooked smile, “What? I wanted to show you how sorry I am.” He said, making her laugh.

Marc felt his lips tug upwards into a grin himself, god what he would give to see her smile like that again, he thought.

“Marc?” She called his name softly.

Oh yeah, the apology, right. He scolded himself. “Mary, I’m so sorry.” Sobering up, he hung his head guiltily, “I had no idea about Leah’s schemes.”

Mary gave him a small smile, she had already forgiven him when she made the decision to let him explain. “It’s all in the past, don’t worry about it.” She said.