Effie: Nothing More Than a Dream

After the spontaneous dinner-date I was sad to leave. It was the first time truly having fun with another person since the Hunger Games. He looked like he was enjoying it as much as I was, and that counted.

As soon as I woke up the effect of the invents hit me: the Hunger Games are over, Katniss and Peeta are back in District 12, and I had dinner with Haymitch. The last was a bit random, but still as surprising. Laughing along with the past ignorant alcoholic that I had despised only mere months ago was what was the most surprising. Along with the fact that I had fun, too. Still realizing that he had stayed shocked me. I had my money on the fact that I he would go back with Katniss and Peeta, but something to the tense of 'loneliness' caused him to stay.

After getting ready and walking out of my temporary room, in the mansion previously known by the feared President Snow, I was ready for the day.  After scarfing down a breakfast of bacon, eggs, and tomatoes I made a decision to make my way down to the gardens. After pushing through the glass doors and breathing in the fresh air I opened my eyes to see a familiar face, ''Hello Haymitch, what're you doing here?'' Clad in a steel gray suit he made his way over to me and replied, ''Looking for some peace and proof that all of this really happened.'' I nodded; knowing exactly what he was describing. ''The experience is so surreal; witnessing the downfall of the Capitol, the murder of President Coin, and the departure of Katniss and Peeta,'' I looked down at my elaborately-sequined heels. He nodded; they both knew what the other was talking about, ''I would have never dreamed of this happening; that I am not condemned to the life of a victor anymore. I don't have to 'check in' with the capitol and their cameras every year, and I am just free to be-well-me!'' I laughed, ''Me neither, I just thought I'd be escorting children to their doom for the rest of my privileged, capitol life, but I am glad it turned out this way instead.'' He turned his head and our eyes met for a split second making my heart flutter. ''Me too,'' he said, ''Me too.''