Chapter Twenty Five - [The Second Resolution.]

Start from the beginning

"Did he cheat on you?"

"No."

She tilted her head to the side and found at me.

"What happened, Kennedy."

I choked back a sob.

"He's got a kid."

Her eyes widened.

"He's...He's got a kid?" She asked. "That can't be true."

I took another swig.

"It's his and Samantha's kid."

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"I saw him with my own eyes," I cried, wiping the tears off of my face with the back of my hand. "I saw the kid."

"Oh no," She said. She sat back, eyes widening with disbelief. "Oh no, Kennedy. Things were going so well for you guys."

Rose talked to me until I stopped crying. It was after midnight that I was all cried out, and Rose had to leave because she had to work early the next day. It wasn't long after she left that another set of tires came flying down the driveway.

These ones I knew were Brantley. I could tell by the sound of his truck and at the speed that he was coming down my driveway, I knew that he knew that something was wrong. He got out of the truck and slammed the door.

"Kennedy, I been trying to get a hold of you all damn day," He began. His voice was laced with worry. "I've called and texted you and gotten nothing. I wasn't going to come over, but then Rose calls me with some cryptic message that- "

He stepped into the light of the porch and stopped, spotting me red eyed and nursing a bottle of wine that was two thirds of the way gone.

"What's wrong?" He asked. "Are you alright? What happened?"

He sat on the bench beside me and moved to touch my leg. I moved away from him.

"Don't touch me."

He looked hurt, and the expression on his face hurt me, too. I took another drink of the wine.

"What is the matter, Kennedy?"

"Why don't you tell me?"

I knew it was cryptic, and probably a little immature, but I was too upset and too wine drunk to really care. I took another drink of the wine, taking in long gulps. Brantley snatched the wine bottle out of my hand.

He spoke, his teeth gritted as he tried to control his patience.

"If you don't tell me what's wrong in about four seconds I'm gonna lose my mind, Kennedy."

"Samantha came to see me today."

His jaw flexed. He was pissed. Pissed. Probably more angry than I had seen him in a long time.

"What do you mean she came to see you?" He asked.

"She had a kid with her. A small kid. She said it was yours. She said you know about him. You know about him and you don't take care of him."

If I had thought Brantley was angry before, that was nothing compared to what he looked like now. He stood up, his hands flexing into fists. He paced the length of the porch, and then stopped in front of me and pinched the skin between his eyebrows.

"God damn it," He said quietly.

I didn't say anything.

"God fucking damn it," He said, a little bit louder.

He paused and took a couple of deep breaths. He sunk to his knees in front of me, placing his hands on my legs.

"I told you that Samantha was like this. She's a vindictive bitch, Kennedy. She's tried this with a few of the girls I've dated since then. She has a kid, but that child ain't mine. I had a DNA test done a couple years ago. I can prove it."

My shoulders sunk with relief. I felt so stupid for believing Samantha.

"Oh, God," I said, shaking my head. "You told me she was like this, and I shouldn't have believed her. I actually believed her."

I put my head on his shoulder, letting out a drunken sob.

"I should have asked you, and I didn't. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

I didn't even know why I was crying anymore. I was drunk, felt emotionally overwhelmed, and stupid. I felt so, so, stupid.

Brantley put his hands on my shoulder and gently pushed me away from him.

"It is not your fault, Kennedy. This is Samantha's fault. She is a skilled liar, and she's a manipulative bitch. I wish you would have called me as soon as this happened so I could tell you right then and there, but I'm not mad."

I wiped the remaining tears off of my face. I felt ashamed.

"I'm sorry. I should have believed in you more."

With one of his fingers, he pushed bangs out of my eyes.

"No more apologizing. It's alright, Kennedy. I'm not mad at you."

I sniffled. He stood up, holding out his hand.

"Come. You need a shower and bed."

I hiccuped, taking his hand and standing up on wobbly legs.

"Why are you being so nice to me? I don't deserve it."

He kissed my forehead.

"Because you deserve it."

Brantley took me upstairs, helping me undress and putting me in the shower before getting in behind me. The hot water and steam helped me sober up a little bit, but Brantley washed my hair and helped me wash my body anyway.

When I was showered and brushed my teeth, I felt loads better. I pulled on a fresh pair of underwear and a clean shirt of Brantley's that was at my house.

Once I was in my warm bed with my head on his chest, I fell into an exhausted sleep.

Author's Note: Hope you like the new chapter! Lots of you caught on and figured out that Samantha was lying! That bitch. ;) Don't worry, Kennedy will get her back. Let me know how you like this!

If you like this story, check out "The Arrangement"!