New faces

• Dedicat lui Barry the chicken

I stared on in horror at the scene before me, watching Morrice’s head violently explode in Jarek’s hands. A gasp from the kid brought me back to life. I stood up and took aim as Jarek walked over to Michael, a smile on his face, fire pooling around him. My first shot whizzed past his face, the second hit his knee and the third hit his hand, breaking his concentration, the flames dying down momentarily. I reloaded quickly but Jarek was quickly regaining concentration to finish off Michael. All of a sudden Michael rose from his stupor and leapt up, bringing his hidden arm round in a wide arc and stabbed it straight into Jarek’s neck. The knife was buried up to its hilt into his neck. Michael was now lost to the rage, I could tell even from that distance, both from the loss of his family and his best friend both at the hands of the same man. Who was now knelt down on the floor in front of him, helpless to do anything with the knife and bullets preventing him from healing properly. I myself removed the bullets from my chest with the tip of my knife. Michael walked slowly and deliberately up to Jarek, cradling a healing arm from the battle I had not witnessed. I signalled to the boy with my eyes to leave right now and he did so, scrambling off the side. I flicked down beside Michael.

“I’m so sorry,” I mumbled my week apology to him.

“It’s fine. It is not your fault that Morrice was taken from us,” he said as a boot broke Jarek’s jaw. “It is his,” he growled while his fist broke his nose. The man may have done terrible things but he was still my brother.

“Michael, I know you may want to cause him much pain, I know you want to rid him of his life slowly but we must kill him quickly. It is only right, we must not stoop to his level.” The fist he was preparing to strike him with dropped.

“You are right. But how can we kill him. We are almost indestructible aren’t we?”

“No, we may heal at an exceptional rate but enough damage to major organs or too much blood loss will kill us. But destruction of the brain is the ultimate killer. Which is why the PNA decapitate their foes. So I shall end his life.”

“But-” Michael started to protest.

“I am his brother.” I said, which silenced him. I lowered the M1911 to his head height. “I am sorry brother, but you crossed the line of mercy long ago.” The shot rang out loud and clear, seemingly throughout the world.

My hand exploded in a spray of blood and bone, leaving a giant whole in the centre where the bullet had ripped through it. My pistol span out of reach as I crumpled to the floor in agony. I heard a loud thwack and sort of shing sound, like a blade being cleared of its sheath. I looked up to see a tall man, about 36, with an M98B in one hand and a bloody knife in his other, the same one that had been in Jarek’s neck. He was lean, not thick but not thin and had evaluating eyes, much like mine. He looked to be Asian with high cheekbones many North Korean’s had and a crooked nose. I looked over from my prone position to see Michael on the floor, his nose gushing blood. Korean then took aim directly at my head when a shot skimmed past his ear. Jarek now fully healed rose from the floor.

“Yun, there is no time. We must leave, the PNA will do our job for us,” Jarek said. But Yun still aimed right at me. “Yun, that’s an order.” Jarek repeated more sternly this time. Yun lowered the weapon and grabbed Jarek’s wrist. He hovered above the ground then shot off into the sky, disappearing behind some clouds. There was no time to lie down in shock, the PNA were closing in and fast. I scrambled to retrieve my gun and crumpled due to the pain. I rose slowly to my feet and felt something sink into my bicep. I looked down to see the purple liquid quickly disappear into my arm.

“FUCK!” I said, ripping it out and diving behind some cover, a stone block. Michael ran to join me a dart hitting his calf. He ripped it out.

“What do we do! There’s too many of ‘em to fight,” the desperation clear in his voice.

“We run! On three! One…two…three!” and we took off for the buildings firing behind our backs. I climbed up a fire escape, Michael close behind. We went from roof to roof, our pursuers, surprisingly, doing the same. Bullets zinged past us. I leapt off a roof and smashed through the doors of someone’s house, Michael following all the way. I burst out of the bedroom window and fell into empty space, grabbing onto a ledge. Michael fell and missed the ledge, my hand grabbing his wrist. It was a long way down. I swung him so he grabbed the ledge and we scrambled up the building. A bullet hit my calf and I crumpled. I pulled the bullet out and it healed over as I fired wildly behind me. I picked myself up and ran off, catching up to Michael. We kept running for I don’t know how long. We just kept going, until we saw them. Big guys, armoured from head to toe toting massive LMG’s. We stood there and tried to turn back to see another lot of them. They offered a warning shot; a round to the chest each. It knocked us on our backs. One started to tell us that we needed to go with them or die. But he was interrupted. A figure stood behind him holding an MP443 and an oc-279 hunting knife. He sunk it into the man’s neck. He zipped, that’s the best word to describe the incredibly fast movement, and slashed at the other man, wounding him badly. The others all suffered similar fates and in the end they were all left crumpled on the floor. The figure zipped to us and offered us a hand each, smiling worryingly broadly.

“Hello there comrades. My name is Viktor Konstantinov. I have come to rescue you.”