Chapter 16

Escorting Hinata back to the sports hall you bid him farewell.

"If you need me I'll be in the theatre, yeah?"

"Yeah!"

By the end of the day, Hinata had been drained of any and all individuality. Temporarily anyway. As soon as he touched the inside of the house he instantaneously perked up again.

"What's for dinner?" This time (friend 2) perked up, being the food fanatic they were.

"Weeeell... today we have balsamic and herb chicken! And afterwards we're gonna hand make gingerbread men and a big gingerbread house! Though, we're gonna be saving those for the year seven Christmas disco, so for dessert we're gonna have crepes!"

You passed (friend 2) tired from school. You slipped your shoes off and softly padded your way up those fluffy carpeted stairs. Hinata watched you go up and heard what sounded like your door and the the sudden compression of a mattress. (Friend 2) had wandered off to the living room or kitchen but (friend 1) remained behind Hinata.

"She has trouble with school sometimes. She may not show it but she actually isn't a very happy person. Her nature makes her kind and what she has been through makes her a bit weird sometimes. Don't worry she always picks herself back up again, it's just sometimes she needs a bit of support, you know? Whether she wants the support or not doesn't matter, she doesn't like outside help in her problems, thinks she doesn't need it or that she's being a bother. She doesn't realize she has people that would tear off their own limbs to help her. I know it's a lot to ask since you've only known her for two days, but I want to know if you would be one of those people." Hinata didn't know what to say at the beginning of their speech but he quickly realized that he would actually give up his ability to jump if it meant keeping you happy.

"Yeah. I would happily be one of those people."

'I knew it. He does like _____. I'm glad, she could use someone like him after her last disaster.'  Images of Josh made them shudder. Snapping out of their delirium, they noticed that Hinata had started to ascend the stairs slowly. Shaking their head, they joined (friend 2) in the living room.

Rapping lightly on your door, Hinata steels himself to talk to you. 

"Come in." Your muffled voice called. He twisted the door handle and opened the door to your clean room.

"Are you OK?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine just thinking about all my life decisions." You laughed dryly, throwing your head back onto your pillows.

"Why?" He said, hesitantly sitting on your bed and putting his hand on you back.

"When I dated Josh I was constantly under the impression that I wasn't good enough and I just hate to see his face because its a reminder of how much of an idiot I am."

"I understand why you don't like him," Hinata replied looking to the ceiling and bringing a finger to his lips, "- but what did he do?"

"... He constantly made me feel worthless so that I would stay with him, he was manipulative. I pushed away everyone because I thought that would make him happy and make him like me more so that I felt competent... When I ended it with him he hit me. He told me I was worthless and that he was the only one that would ever love me because of how ugly I was and stupid and he called me every name under the sun. He made me feel so bad I wanted to kill myself. In the end I turned around and told him 'No'."

"...What happened then?"

"I broke his nose." Hinata's eyebrows almost went back in time with how fast they went up and his jaw dropped. You seemed so sweet and generous, but you broke his nose? You must be strong too!

"Wow."

"Yep." 

"Did you feel better afterwards?"

"A little, it was more of a spur of the moment thing when he insulted my parents. Talk shit about me but don't even think about attempting to thrash my mum and dad." Hinata was surprised that you swore, it brought a twinge of homesickness, reminding him of Kageyama.

"Anyway! I want that explanation. How the Hell did you become real?"

________________________________________________________________________________

Word Count: 724