chapter ii

There was anger rolling off of him as he stomped down the sidewalk. His destination wasn't anywhere that would lead him to killing, but was instead a place he never thought he'd step foot in.

A flower shop.

Penguin requested Victor to place orders in for lilies, his mother's favorite, twice a month. He wanted only fresh lilies on her grave, and Victor was the man to bring them in whenever they began to wilt.

The sickening sweet scent of the flowers tickled his nose as he pushed open the door. The bell hanging from the doorframe tingled loudly from his forceful push. Victor balled his hands into fists and approached the counter. He slammed his fist down on the top of the service bell and leaned against the counter top as he waited for someone to come.

"Just a second!" an elderly man's voice called out.

"I can take his order," a voice said.

Victor looked up as a woman rose from where she was squatting by a bouquet of yellow blooms. She had on a pair of dark sunglasses. It confused Victor; she was inside, and there wasn't any sunlight coming through the windows.

He didn't focus on that for long. His lips twitched into a small smile as he realized how beautiful she was. Her hair hung beautifully off the back of her neck and her yellow sweater complimented her [h/c] locks nicely. Her pale, pink lips beamed up at no one in particular, and Victor felt the darkness in him shift for the first time.

"No," the elderly man said, shattering Victor's thoughts. He touched her shoulder. "I need you to arrange the pink roses before Miss Angela gets here."

She shrugged. "All right."

Victor watched as she spun around on her heel and walked through the aisle. He noticed how she let her hand trail down the wall. Realization hit him, and he couldn't tear his eyes away from her.

"She's blind," he said bluntly.

The man nodded. "Every since she was three."

"You're her father?" he asked, finally looking at the man.

He chuckled dryly. "No. I'm her great uncle. How may I help you?"

Victor let his eyes wander to her again. Her gloved hands were delicately plucking roses that weren't perfectly soft and pink. She tossed them into a wastebasket and carefully pulled stems out, mindful of the thorns she couldn't see.

"I want to make an order for lilies," he replied, but he wasn't paying much attention.