#2 (Nocturne Hospital, Whisper)

During the first game, the player has to investigate the abandoned Nocturne Hospital. When they first arrive, a Leadoni talks about the player arriving in time for a special they are running, a free check-up. The player is suspicious about it the whole time they are there, even though it runs smoothly up until the x-ray bit with the disfigured heart showing up. The player then goes to the director, who goes through a normal routine of inquiring about the player's health until he asks the player about seeing anything strange. Then he comes to the conclusion that the player needs a heart transplant. The player is obviously worried about the whole thing and when the player lies on the gurney, they are forced into a battle for their life against Dr. Maddiman.

Now, you'll notice that I wasn't talking about Whisper throughout that. This is where the headcanon comes in.

I believe that Nocturne Hospital has some sort of strange power that affects Yo-kai, but not humans. The strange power makes the Yo-kai believe that there is nothing wrong in the hospital, which is why Whisper seems to ignore the player's genuine questioning of the point of them having to go through the check-up and the fact that they're doing it in an abandoned hospital or neglecting to realize that the director is suggesting doing an heart transplant on a child without telling the player's parents/getting their consent and that the director is trying to get the player, who is 11, alone. The power can wear off if the affected Yo-kai realize that something is off, which Whisper doesn't seem to catch on to until after the player is taken from him and he is unable to get to them for some reason.

After the Boss fight, Whisper is finally able to get to the player again, giving a brief apology for walking the player into the obvious trap.

Now, I believe that Whisper still regrets not listening to the player on that day and he has recurring nightmares about the player dying in the hospital because he didn't listen to them. More often than not, the player comforts Whisper whenever he has those nightmares.

*****

Sidenote: The Yo-kai that attack you in Nocturne Hospital are also victims of whatever power the Hospital has and if a Yo-kai that attacked you wants to join you, it means that, somehow, the power wore off on that Yo-kai and they can finally be free of the hospital.

Unrelated Sidenote: In all honesty, I'm not sure if the x-ray was faked in an attempt to get the player to go to the director, a.k.a Dr. Maddiman, the Boss Yo-kai of Nocturne Hospital, or if the player's heart actually does look like that and it was an unknown side effect of hanging around Yo-kai for an unspecified period of time.