Kristen nodded.

"Well, that's surprising. He doesn't talk about that with anyone. Not even us. You must've made an impression on him after all."

Kristen uncomfortably looked away.

"Are you seeing him today?"

She tightly pressed her lips together. "Yes."

Diego cocked his head at her and folded his arms. "Can I ask you something? Why did you kiss me all those times? What did it mean?"

Kristen helplessly shook her head. "I don't know; I shouldn't have done that. It's not that I don't like you Diego and it's not that I'm not attracted to you. I am. I just like him more. I always have. I don't feel good about this at all. I know I led you on. I know I should've told you the truth as early as last night, but-"

"Yeah. I peeped what was developing between you guys when he came outside during the party. I didn't want to believe it. I tried to convince myself it was momentary and if you spent more time with me, maybe it would lessen it a little. But if he told you about Carmen and the baby-"

Kristen's stomach clenched with insecurity. "Carmen? That's her name?"

Diego nodded. Kristen grew quiet and rested her chin on her arm, staring off into the distance. As if sensing her ambivalence, Diego turned towards her and put his arm across the bench atop hers. He touched the hand on her lap with his other hand. She looked over at him and ruefully smiled. He gave her a sympathetic smile in return.

Kristen blinked back tears. She had just broken his heart and here he was consoling her. She was an asshole. Diego had been nothing but good to her since the beginning and she was cutting things off with him for a man whose mood changed with the wind. She prayed she was doing the right thing.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

"No," he honestly admitted. "But I will be. Eventually."

A tear fell from her eyes as she squeezed his hand. "I'm sorry Diego."

He leaned over to her and kissed her cheek. "It's okay." He rested his face against hers for a beat; then pulled back. He continued to hold her hand.

"Does he know you kissed me?" he asked her.

"No," she said defensively.

"Are you going to tell him?"

Kristen's words were hectic as they came out. "It's not like we're in a relationship. I just wanted to let you know before things got all weird. Before things got weird between you and me and the two of you. I don't think that's something he needs to know. I don't want to come in between you two."

"We wouldn't let that happen. No girl has ever been worth our friendship and none ever will be."

He didn't say it in a mean way but Kristen was still caught off guard by him saying it. She was almost offended. The fact that she was almost offended was even more offensive. Did she want them fighting over her?

"If you're worried about me being weird with him, don't be," Diego sincerely continued. "It's not going to affect my friendship with him, the group, or our music. This will stay between you and me. I'm not going to mention it to the other guys either. As for you and me, I'd still like us to be friends."

Kristen hopefully looked at him. "Are you sure?"

"Of course. It's not going to be the same but I'd like us to stay in touch until you leave. Even after that."

She nodded agreeably. "Okay."

Diego reflectively looked around the park. His eyes focused on a group of kids playing together before he continued. "I just hope he doesn't hurt you."

A chill went through Kristen at his ominous words. She curiously tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

Diego thoughtfully chewed on his lip and ran his fingers through his coarse, wavy hair. He weighed his words carefully as he spoke. "Roman's been through a lot Kristen. I know you already know that. I doubt seriously anything has changed in one day. He's haunted by his past. I know he wants to believe he's gotten over it but he hasn't. Just be careful and tread lightly. Don't get too attached. Don't let your feelings reign over your common sense."

Kristen flinched at him and moved to turn away from him. Diego lightly grabbed her shoulder, stopping her. "I'm not saying this to hurt you," he said, looking at her. "I'm not saying it because I'm jealous. I'm saying it because I care about you. Just be careful."

Kristen's petulant eyes gave way to a look of solemn appreciation for his honesty. She subtlety nodded at him and took a bottled water from him that he offered from the basket he'd brought along for the picnic. They sat in mutual silence and watched the activity around them in the park.

Diego's forewarning was brutally honest and it cut like a knife but Kristen couldn't blame him for being blunt or looking out for her. This thing between her and Roman was moving mightily fast and it was as unnerving to her as it was irritating to Diego. She knew it was coming from an honest place. The only thing was she felt it was already too late for her common sense to reign over anything. Her heart was already deeply in it.