Ch. 31 - Photoshopped My Face On a Potato

Zacznij od początku

Yogi's house is one story, so all the rooms are closely connected. You can hear just about any one conversation from the opposite side of the house. He says that the best part is the lack of stairs because when he's really drunk, stairs can be "hard to handle."

In the kitchen that is just a stove and a microwave and a mini-fridge and a foldable chair in the corner, Elliott stops to look for food. He pulls out some grapes and two water bottles.

"This is as good as it'll get for now," he says. "We can stop at some breakfast place on the way home."

"It's too late for breakfast, kiddos!" Yogi practically screams as he stomps into the kitchen. "It's two in the afternoon."

Elliott almost chokes on one of his grapes. "It's two?"

"Yeah, man," Yogi answers. "Does something happen at two?"

"I was supposed to start work at one!" he yells frantically.

Yogi holds his head. "Hey, keep your voice down."

Elliott shoves Yogi in the chest before turning to me. "Ivy, I have to go to work right now. I'll call Flynn and tell him to pick you up, okay? I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay," I promise. "This is my fault. I feel bad."

"It's not. I was the one who wanted to go to the engagement party when you told me it wasn't a good idea." He kisses the top of my head. "Bye, Ives."

"Bye."

He runs through the house, reappearing in the kitchen with his clothes from last night. He kisses me again before leaving with a slam of the front door.

"He's so going to get fired," Yogi laughs.

I roll my eyes and push past him. There's a small family room next to the kitchen where a few passed out people are sprawled on the floor or the couch. I sit down at a free spot on the couch to wait for Flynn.

Next to me, Ted, the Target model, is snoring loudly. I get a flashback to the party, Ted making a speech. He stood on the top of the coffee table and lifted his beer high.

"To my ex," he said, looking down at Carter. "And to her new fiancé." He looked down at Jake Acker.

I spring up in the couch when the realization hits me. Carter and Jake are engaged. That's who we were celebrating! Holy poop. Carter and Jake Acker are engaged. How the heck did that happen?

"Ivy Lynch!" Jake exclaims excitedly, plopping down on the couch. "The partier of the century."

"Right," I mumble. "So, you're engaged?"

"Yep. I know it seems really fast, but I do love Carter," he says. "I mean, we just get each other."

I want to go on a rant about how crazy he's being. Carter was with Ted just a few weeks ago. He was sleeping with Mrs. Holden. I mean, what about his crush on me? I didn't get a proposal! I didn't want one, but the thought would've been nice.

My mom has been married three times. I'm a pretty good detector at a wrong relationship. "We just get each other." Like I haven't heard that one before. Oh, brother. This is a disaster.