Chapter 1

"Papa! Papa! The skunk is talking again!" called the little girl outside the cabin.

"Now, don't be silly Naomi," her father replied, attempting to placate the over imaginative girl.

"I am being serious Papa! He's saying that he doesn't like the hunters that go into the forest." She was pouting now.

"Naomi stop being around that stinky ol' thing." her father said picking up the child and taking her inside.

The girl burst into tears, why did no one believe her? She was young, but she has never fibbed in her life. She had good manners even though she was raised by her father. She was a good girl, how did no one else hear the skunk?

The skunk who's name was Luka was old and talked slow and funny. She liked his voice, not only that but he was the only one that visited besides the mice, but they were not ones for conversation. She had told Luka everything. What she ate, her age, name, about her parents, or lack there of. And Luka replied with "uh-huh" or "ok", the perfect best friend in the girls eyes. However, everyone in the village thought she belonged in the big city hospital. Even her own father. She could bet that her mother would understand. From what she heard her mother was nice and caring. She wished she had met her mother. Her mom which she was told her name to be Catherine would have been so nice to her. Her mom would not have picked her up and taken her to her room because she was an "embarrassment". Her mother would truly love her, not love her because it was her job as a mother to.

Naomi realized that her father was lecturing her. Most likely about her crazy antics of getting attention, only he didn't understand why the animals did talk to her and that she could understand them. It wasn't her fault she was making conversation with the only other living souls that would talk to her. Something dawned on the girl. No one would ever believe her, and if she stayed here, it was probable that they would sent her to a shrink or worse. She had to get away. But where to? The forest? The hunters went there all the time, maybe she could survive like them. Take some food and water and leave. But there was always the fact that she was too young. She had seen other 5 year old boys go hunting with their fathers. So why couldn't she? Sure, they may have had adults, but she had Luka. She was certain that Luka would help her.

Her father left the room and she rolled the idea more in her mind. If she were to leave, then it couldn't be for long. It's a dangerous world out there. She knew of the wolves and the stories of hunters leaving into the forest to get a deer, and never returning. She shivered at the thought. No, she couldn't live out there. 

She decided then that she and Luka were going to go into the forest where she could find out why she could talk to the animals. She wouldn't be long, and no one was likely to notice. After all, everyone never paid mind to her. If she were only gone a few hours, there would be no problems. Or at least she could hope.

Her father walked back in with food, "You are grounded, and this will be your last meal for the next two days. And I don't want to hear any talking back, and don't you even think about leaving this room until I say. Am I understood?"

She nodded, tears starting to well up in her eyes again. Her only parent, turned and slammed the door in her face. 

She sat crying, while the soup in front of her began to get cold. She wanted to leave. Leave now. Her father clearly didn't care much. And she was sure he wouldn't came back in for a long while. With tears running down her cheek, she ate the soup. She crawled into bed where she wept until a sleep overtook her. 

It was bright in her dream. She breathed in what felt like fresh air, not dirty or crowded like in the village. The sun hit her skin and she felt invincible. Voices bustled around her, but she didn't mind much. They somehow gave her more confidence. There was one voice that stood stronger than the others. It was beckoning her, calling to her. She saw a dark wolf, black in all but the sharp amber eyes. He jumped to her, teeth bared and she jumped awake. Dawn was barely peaking in the curtains.