Gideon Makes His Move

Start from the beginning

I admired Camphoria's beauty as she reached out for the whey hen in the roost labeled Noonday. Not only was there great beauty in her well-proportioned frame, but there was strength there too.

<Quit yer admire'n and start yer talk'n!> Betty-Lou interrupted my thoughts.

I cleared my throat, "Camphoria, please tell me about yourself. We have not really have had time to be properly introduced to each other."

Camphoria turned to me with the large whey hen and asked with a glint of a smile, "The message, your Majesty."

"Oh, here it is." I handed her the container from my vest pocket and for a brief moment our hands touched and lingered.

As she deftly tied the small cylinder to the whey hen's leg and opened the hatch she said, "I am the only daughter of Jasper Bragg. We live in Marshtown in the kingdom of Gladewater far to the west of Noonday. My three older brothers have served the rebellion since they were mid-conscription age. Yet my father would not let me help and made me stay home to care for our farm and beasts. We have the finest pigling wool in all twelve kingdoms. It was not till I became of conscription age that I was able to convince him that I could be of help. My first assignment was to serve in the adjudicator's mansion on Noonday. I had only been there ten rotations till you and your grandfather arrived." She then flung the whey hen out of the portal which took to flight with a flurry of wings.

For a moment we both watched as the whey hen disappeared from view. "You are brave to be involved with the rebellion when you could be safe at home." I told Camphoria and I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"NO WHERE is safe while the Overlord lives!" Camphoria responded with a ferocity that matched her fiery red hair. "I am only doing what needs to be done. Just as your majesty has risked everything to lead us." She took my hand into both of hers. "I cannot be more grateful to your Majesty for challenging the might of the adjudicator and rescuing your humble servant."

<What do I do now, Betty-Lou?> I thought.

<Ye be on your own.> Betty-Lou chuckled in reply.

"I remember how I was surprised by the strength of your hands as you helped me up the ladder in the adjudicator's mansion, but now your hands are as soft and gentle as baby river dogs. I like how they feel in my hand." I said softly.

Camphoria took a step closer and I took her hands in mine. She was nearly as tall as I and we looked into each other's eyes. I could feel her sweet breath and felt her pulse quicken in pace with mine. I did not want to shut my eyes to savor this moment longer but just as our lips touched I closed them and in that instant I heard a gasp and Camphoria dropped my hands and stepped back.

It took me a moment to realize what had just happened. I looked and saw that I had burst into green flames. On impulse I slowly extended my hand again and with amazing courage Camphoria extended her hand. When our fingers touched I could feel that she tensed in anticipation of pain, but when none came, her firm grip relaxed. Then I pushed my power through my hand and felt it entering and filling her and I knew her in a way that a kiss could never reveal.

Once again, Camphoria gasped in amazement as she gazed from her feet to her hands and back again. She was blazing green just as I. "How is it possible?" she asked.

"I willed it to be so and so it was." I responded tenderly.

She looked at my hand in hers and smiled, then said carefully, "I saw the terrible wrath these hands wrought on our enemies and I trembled at their power, but now they are warm and caring and I trust them like a she-meercat trusts the terrible claws of her mate...Oh, I am sorry your Highness. I did not mean to make allusions to something that a person as lowly as I could not possibly hope for. Please forgive me your Lordship. I..."

I put my burning finger on her lips and re-ignited her flame that embarrassment had extinguished. "I understand the allusion and the message implied. I agree, we need to get to know each other more before such things are spoken of, but until then...we have shared some of ourselves with each other and that is a start to a wonderful friendship and perhaps more." I extinguished the flames and I asked mentally, I led her to a nearby bench and we chatted shared stories of our histories with each other.

We must have been there for quite a while because one of the cabin boys came running into the wheyhen enclosure and said breathlessly, "There you are, your Lordship. Captain Lawrence has been looking for you for quite some time. No one thought to look here."

"Where is my grandfather, so I might find him?" I replied with a grin.

"He is topside Sire, upon the forecastle." The boy reported.

"Tell him that I will be there momentarily and please do not mention where you found me. You may go." I placed a coin in his hand to insure compliance.

"My Lady, thank you for a most pleasant morning, one of many to come I hope." I bowed and left Camphoria smiling prettily on the bench.

<How did I do Betty-Lou?>

< As well as a moth drawn to a candle light. Not so close as to singe yer wings, but close enough to provide ye illumination.> Betty-Lou cryptically replied.

<You mean I did ok?> I clarified.

Betty-Lou responded softly, <Aye, ye did ok.>