Chapter Three

I shrug my shoulders apologetically. 

Misha rolls his eyes, but his face softens when he looks back down at JJ.

Carefully, I help him ease the sleeping beauty onto her bed, and watch her pretty lashes flutter dreamily. Still, she doesn't wake as I pull the covers snugly around her shoulders.

After making sure JJ is settled in, I place the steaming mug of tea on the nightstand and slip quietly out the door.

"Sorry about that," I mumble wistfully as we head out into the hallway.

"Sorry about what," Misha smirks. "Wanting to unleash an unholy beatdown on your visitor, forgetting FooFoo, or-"

"I was going to apologize for burdening you with looking after JJ," I scowl, scratching the back of my neck. "But, yeah, sorry for all that other stuff too."

"You should know by now that I don't mind," Misha replies sincerely. "I love her."

Something about that statement sends tingles of affection shooting through my core for this man who doesn't have to love my daughter, doesn't have to care for her like his own, or cook and clean for my family. Yet, he does. I can't imagine how hard it must be for him to be here, to be in the same home as Dani and I day in and day out, when he could so easily give into bitter resentment.

"And I love you," I murmur softly, reaching out to tilt his chin up with my index finger. I lean in closer, until his face consumes my field of view.

My theory is confirmed; Misha's smile is, indeed, the essence of human life.

Slowly, almost hesitantly, I bridge the gap between us, lids falling to half-mast as I fix my eyes on my target. I inhale sharply when my lips land on his soft, familiar pair. Then they're moving, sliding against his in a slow, gentle kiss. It's affectionate, but not lust-addled: careful, not controlling.

Deep down, I'm terrified because I know that I've fallen painfully hard for this beguiling man. He melts all my resolution; I have no means of protecting myself from being swept off my feet.

"That was surprisingly sweet," Misha muses when I pull away, my hand lingering on his arm under his cotton shirt. "Have you finally starting thinking past your dick?"

"Has hell become Antarctica," I challenge flatly.

Mish sighs, his hand coming up to stroke his temple, and I'm unable to keep the corner of my lip from kicking up in a playful smirk.

"For a second there, I thought it had," he mutters in bemusement. "Never mind."

"But while we're on the topic of my dick..." I grin suddenly, crowding against him until his back is firmly against the wall. "Dani and the gang won't be back for another hour or so."

"Oh, no way," he chuckles as I suck on his neck. "Not now. What if JJ wakes up?"

Misha glances sidelong at the bedroom door, left ajar. "What will she say if she finds us getting it on in her parents' bedroom?"

"Not sure," I grin. "Maybe something along the lines of shit, Dad's the bottom?"

Misha groans as I suck at the skin below his jawline.

"Too...risky, Jensen. Stop."

I heave a sigh, pulling away much to my chagrin. "I'm sorry," Misha murmurs. "But nobody can know about us, remember?"

I rub the back of my neck in in grudging consent.

"Whatever." Biting my lip, I follow Misha back downstairs. "For what it's worth, I swear half the fans know already."