Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

                It was huge, complete with covered windows three stories high. It wasn’t the height that bothered him though, it was the lower basement area he imagined it having. Tommy was off to the side crouched triumphantly on a boulder. He had led them right and he saw in front of him the hope of having helped Tendra correctly.

“The gates!” Lebon cried to them, and five of his warriors stepped forward, Aliysha moved his head, cocked it to the side that was all and every one of his men, now in human form, naked, stood and walked to the gates.

                One by one most of the wolves were changing back to human form, but not all. It took but mere seconds to change forms and there was no orders of who changed and who didn’t. In a fight like this it was comfort; Ray would never impose that order. They fought in the form they wanted. And many did keep their fur and four legs. They felt more powerful. Ray didn’t. He loved his wolf, loved it to bits but he was going to run for Tendra and he wanted the agility that came with the man and was stunted with the wolf. He stood in his trousers and watched at the iron gates in front of them were pulled apart by Lebon’s five and while the surrounding structure not meant to move it was easily squashed under the strength of the enhanced humans. The scarred pack. The Cicatrices pack as Aliysha had named them. They used their inhuman strength to literally push on the metal which gave under the pressure and bent, out of shape as easy as if it were play-dough.

                The minute the gates lay on the floor, no longer a deterrent, the wolves literally streamed into the surrounding area. Running, springing forward, jumping, crawling, and even back flipping into the area. The Sanguis pack were a sight to see; their actions as beautiful and graceful as they were agile and lethal, and so quick their tricks and eye catching hypnotic moves were hard to even spot and see. It seemed they worked on illusion to distract as they struck forth. Their human forms were used over their wolves but they had started the morph, so their strength and senses were heightened. Myco’s pack ran mostly in wolf form. Aliysha – well, they didn’t exactly need to pick a form. They had both. Ray was jealous to an extent.

                He ran in. Without breathing, without thinking. This was his only hope to find Tendra and to get to her. He needed her. His numbness was fading ever so slightly but not to be replaced by feeling – merely by that edgy feeling all over his body. His skin crawled with anticipation as he thought of finding her. He needed her body, he needed to see her alive or dead either one, preferably the first. But the answer to her fate was needed.

“I’m coming with you.”

                Ashton was running by his side and as agreed Ray did not need to fight. The warriors all around him parted way, and when he was met with opposition they simply fought it for him. They took away his obstacles so he get to Tendra. A grieving wolf was a wolf better out of the battle field and with his desperation to find her he hadn’t protested their generous offer. He had thanked them and let it go. And now he was ever more grateful as he had a clear run straight to the front door.

                They had wanted to pull down the fortress and they were going to do it, but they needed Tendra out first. Although that didn’t stop them from pounding on the sides on the building to start the weakening of it. The sound around him were one of bloody battle.

                Wolves lunged at each other and the weight of each wolf colliding was a dull pounding that sounded painful. Claws scratched, those in human form were throwing punches, some had had batons strapped to their legs or backs with leather thongs and they used them now. Ray saw knives in some of the hands of Lebon’s pack. He had seen them before but in the middle of this they looked as deadly as they did defenceless. The Letale pack had no mere knives and batons, they circled round with long knives akin to swords. Daggers and whips. From leather trouser pockets hung cuffs and silver spikes and dotted all around the floor were traps. Traps of silver teeth, like the ones that had already claimed the legs of wolves before they had even got to the gates.