"That sucks, Jose. I know you've been playing on this field since you were little."

"It does. Now, my little brother won't get to use it like me." Then, Jose looked up and straight into Christi's eyes. 

"You and that field got me to where I am today."

Christi nearly dropped the crutches in surprise. "You didn't?" 

Jose smiled brightly and nodded. 

"No way."

"Yep. A full ride. I'm guaranteed a spot on the team. One of the top college soccer teams in the country." 

Christi dropped her crutches and hugged Jose. He squeezed her back before letting go. 

"Why aren't you celebrating?"

"Well, I also got a call from the Santa Barbara Sharks for a rookie position. I would be low on the totem pole, but I would still make a solid salary now. At the college, I have to wait before I can help out. You know, my dad died a few years ago. I want to help support my mom," he said, pleading his case. 

That's when Christi had her deja vu moment. This had been her own problem when she was about to go to college. She had led her high school team to four straight years of championship wins. She had been a hot commodity and knew it. When she had gotten an offer similar to Jose's, she had a very similar dilemma. At the time, Cole had been supporting all the sisters' expenses which included Fiona's college tuition, Christi's various soccer gear and all the expenses that come with taking care of a young girl. He had only been in his early twenties at the time. Christi had been in a position to help, but then Cole stepped in. 

"Go to college," said Cole. His tone was gentle, but firm.

"But I can help out. When I become a starter, I can really pull in some cash. Why do you want another college tuition on your plate. Cole, you work too hard already."

Cole shook his head solemnly. "Go to college. Don't worry about finances. I'm the oldest. It is my job to take of you guys. Don't make your decisions based on us. Do it for you. Now, do you want to go to college?"

"Yes." 

"That's your answer."

It was right for her. It was at college that she mastered her craft. High school level is nowhere near as intense as college. She needed to gradually move up rather than jump to the end result. She got a degree in exercise science. Most of all, she met Daniel Walton. Jose deserved to at least try at the opportunities since he was given the chance. 

So, Christi knew what she had to do. She spoke the words she needed to hear then and the words Jose so surely needed too. 

"Go to college."

"Why? I could help out my mom now. I have little brothers to take care of."

"Take it from me. Don't do it. Look at me. I'm injured right now. What happens if you sign up and get injured in the first three years."

Jose's mouth opened wide and shut quickly. Christi rubbed her leg as she adjusted on the seat. 

"I'll tell you what. Nothing. You have to prove yourself before you get the real bucks. You most likely will be someone's back-up. So you injure yourself before you show your talent and you're done."

"Athletes always injure themselves. It's a part of the game. I could do that in college and be left to dry without my scholarship."

Christi nodded her head in agreement. He was right, but  . . .

"Well, I knew one or two people who injured themselves in college and couldn't play. The difference is that if you don't neglect your studies, then you can switch your focus easily. One of my teammates injured herself our sophomore year, but she was always a straight A student. So she focused on her exercise science courses and eventually went on to become a physical therapist. Last year, I found out she is the PT for the Boston Settlers football team. It is all about the mindset."

Christi was remembering that now. She had focused too much on what the injury took from her and not what it could give. 

"Ms. Christi, you don't understand. I already kind of verbally promised that I would join."

"Jose! What were you thinking?"

"I don't know. I just said I would love to join them."

"But did you say that you would?"

"I don't know. If you think I should go to college, then I will follow your advice. I just need your help. My friend Camilia might too."

"Give me her number and some time. I'll see what I can do."

"Thanks. You're the best."

Christi hoped so.